Anyone on cholesterol meds??

kaye300
kaye300 Posts: 29 Member
Looking for imput/info from members on cholesterol meds...
DH has just started LCHF. Today is day three. Now normally if he ate say a whole
bag of chips the grease would go right thru him like by next morning due to meds.

So far no issues with LCHF....
And unfortunately his Dr. is not open to treating/adjust cholesterol levels via diet or keto in general....

Just as fyi..he also has HBP and thyroid issues (low) borderline diabetic, acid reflux, and muscle aches, restless leg syndrome....

Don't want to walk him down the wrong path....

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Does that mean he is looking for a different doctor?

After the first year my lab reports where better than 20 years before. LCHF is not magic and the healing in my case was not over night for sure.

Welcome to MFP forums.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    kaye300 wrote: »
    Looking for imput/info from members on cholesterol meds...
    DH has just started LCHF. Today is day three. Now normally if he ate say a whole
    bag of chips the grease would go right thru him like by next morning due to meds.

So far no issues with LCHF....
    And unfortunately his Dr. is not open to treating/adjust cholesterol levels via diet or keto in general....

Just as fyi..he also has HBP and thyroid issues (low) borderline diabetic, acid reflux, and muscle aches, restless leg syndrome....

Don't want to walk him down the wrong path....

Just a note on lipids & keto - lipid levels are a moving target while you're losing weight, as there are all sorts of angels and demons being paroled from your fat cells as they hit the fryer. (For the >:)>:) , keeping hydrated and regular are good ways to help show them the door.)

In short, his "true" lipid profile may not materialize until weeks/months after his weight has stabilized and he's on a maintenance diet.

What all is he taking?

• kaye300
    Synthroid .01mg, atorvastatin (lipitor)20mg, lisinoprill, pantoprazole 40mg.

I guess my first concern was if doing a high fat eating plan would med flush out to much fat...
    He has blood work done every three months to monitor thyroid levels...not sure what else but we are going to try and get copy of results at next appt.
  • kaye300
    the meds normally seem to work much like "Alli" does...to much fat...run to bathroom....
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Synthroid .01mg, atorvastatin (lipitor)20mg, lisinoprill, pantoprazole 40mg.

I guess my first concern was if doing a high fat eating plan would med flush out to much fat...
    He has blood work done every three months to monitor thyroid levels...not sure what else but we are going to try and get copy of results at next appt.

My absolute amateur's take....

Lipitor - The nocturnal restless legs/leg cramps I had on Lipitor disappeared when I switched to Crestor - for that reason. (Note - I'm hoping to be able to ditch the statins entirely, but I'm diabetic and had a mildly positive coronary calcium scan - your DH's balancing may work out differently once he finds a more open-minded doctor.)

Pantoprazole - It is strongly recommended by many docs to limit the use of PPI meds to a course of a few weeks and only if strongly indicated. PPIs affect the balance of bacteria in your gut and your stomach acidity. Don't despair for your DH just yet - the experience of many of us here (including moi) is that LCHF diets can significantly reduce acid reflux. If your DH is one whose combustion calms way down after carbs are reduced, he may be in luck!

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    the meds normally seem to work much like "Alli" does...to much fat...run to bathroom....

Interesting - I was taking atorvastatin in the same dose and never had that experience when eating LCHF/keto/carnivore. Could be an interaction between the meds or just the way his body handles it. I would also think that the statin would flush the extra fat out in urine since it works on blood levels of fats and not in the digestive system.

For my experience, the statin lowered my LDL numbers but while I was taking it, my HDL numbers were lowered as well. I am waiting on the results from my most recent labs to see if my HDL levels went up w/o taking the statin - my doc and I had both agreed to stop taking it to get a new baseline value for my blood work.

Full disclosure, I also take lisinopril like your husband because my BP is borderline high, but that is not due to weight issues - I am on testosterone replacement therapy and one of the known side effects of the therapy is an increase in blood pressure - I will probably be taking the lisinopril for the rest of my life.
  • RalfLott
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Interesting - I was taking atorvastatin in the same dose and never had that experience when eating LCHF/keto/carnivore. Could be an interaction between the meds or just the way his body handles it. I would also think that the statin would flush the extra fat out in urine since it works on blood levels of fats and not in the digestive system.

For my experience, the statin lowered my LDL numbers but while I was taking it, my HDL numbers were lowered as well. I am waiting on the results from my most recent labs to see if my HDL levels went up w/o taking the statin - my doc and I had both agreed to stop taking it to get a new baseline value for my blood work.

Full disclosure, I also take lisinopril like your husband because my BP is borderline high, but that is not due to weight issues - I am on testosterone replacement therapy and one of the known side effects of the therapy is an increase in blood pressure - I will probably be taking the lisinopril for the rest of my life.

FYI, my understanding is that certain BP meds (like lisinopril and other ACE inhibitors) have a beneficial effect on kidney tissue as well as lowering BP. I haven't had any problem with lisinopril, but a persistent cough and/or throat tickle are common side effects.
  • kaye300
    I should clarify...the cholesterol med has not given him any trouble while doing lchf....it was prior to, that the over consumption of fat or grease would send him running.... much like alli diet pill.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I had been taking Simvastatin for 10 years or so. I was never really bad with the levels, but I dutifully took them and I would always come back with decent numbers. I lost weight before my last blood draw and total cholesterol was 156 with good ratios. The results came back after the appointment, but I had been intending to ask him about going off the statin. I decided to just stop taking it. My next appointment is in March. I will see what the numbers look like and tell the doctor about my little moment of rebellion.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I hope this doctor is aware of the wacky relationship between high cholesterol (trigs in particular), under-treated hypothyroidism, and insulin levels. Insulin must be relatively level and such, at moderate levels, in order for the thyroid to receive proper metabolism signals. The thyroid must also be functioning properly to participate in the regulation of proper stomach acid and bile levels to be released. Nearly every person I now with this combo had to stop taking antacids, start taking digestive enzymes and bile supplements, in order to be able to absorb the nutrients needed to support a properly functioning thyroid. When the thyroid is out of whack, it can cause trigs to skyrocket. I'm still struggling with all of this, because apparently it is all interrelated, which I didn't even think about fully until I started writing this all out... Best of luck because until he starts getting things managed well, meds compound issues, and treating one part without addressing the others can really tip things off level...and getting to that key underlying issue is almost like an episode of CSI to solve the mystery!
  • RalfLott
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I had been taking Simvastatin for 10 years or so. I was never really bad with the levels, but I dutifully took them and I would always come back with decent numbers. I lost weight before my last blood draw and total cholesterol was 156 with good ratios. The results came back after the appointment, but I had been intending to ask him about going off the statin. I decided to just stop taking it. My next appointment is in March. I will see what the numbers look like and tell the doctor about my little moment of rebellion.

Do you feel any different than you did before the statin purge?
  • 2t9nty
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Do you feel any different than you did before the statin purge?

I have felt quite good in general on the LCHF diet. I have not noticed any changes after dropping the statin.

• allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Statins are evil in my opinion, My husband will not take them, he is on HBP meds though. Do your research. I have read research that lowering cholesterol does not equal lowered heart health risk. There are native populations with crazy high cholesterol numbers and extremely low heart disease. I have seen many lchf people posting vastly improved cholesterol #'s and ratios with diet change alone.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Be on the lookout for blood pressure to actually go low. I've known of many people that suddenly started having low BP because keto fixed it naturally.
    Also be aware that your silly doctor man might tell you that this crazy diet is bad because it made your medicine too strong. Lol
    Yeah.... or it cures the issue and the medicine isn't needed any more??? Yeah. It's funny how doctors just want to keep you on meds so if your diet fixes your issues then you need to stop so you can keep taking the drugs. Lol
  • 2t9nty
    Be on the lookout for blood pressure to actually go low. I've known of many people that suddenly started having low BP because keto fixed it naturally.
    Also be aware that your silly doctor man might tell you that this crazy diet is bad because it made your medicine too strong. Lol
    Yeah.... or it cures the issue and the medicine isn't needed any more??? Yeah. It's funny how doctors just want to keep you on meds so if your diet fixes your issues then you need to stop so you can keep taking the drugs. Lol

My doctor is very old school, and he is a total grouch. He gave me the standard Diabetes Association diet when I was diagnosed, but did not ask any questions about eating when I came back 3 months later. I had lost weight, and I was under his target for the A1C after being on the LCHF diet for a little over 2 months. He was probably working on the assumption that one of his patients had finally followed his advice, and I was not going to volunteer anything that might seem a little "out there" by his standards.

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited February 2017

Exactly what my mum says. She won't even take Vit D supps or eat dark green leafies, cause the "doctor said it might interfere with her meds". She belongs to the generation that believes anything doctors say is the gospel. #facepalm

According to the nnt.com, 1/100 people actually get T2D from using statins...If they didn't have previous heart condition. A minority of patients with previous heart attack (ca 40%) get helped as preventative measure. Patients with just high cholesterol are NOT helped on statins.

Yet millions worldwide are willing to endure impotence, muscle cramps, memory loss (hey the brain is bathed in a fat called myelin) to name a few of the known side effects...just based on dubious cholesterol numbers. Cholesterol is a vital part of the cell membrane. Why do the standard of care practices think it's a good idea to artificially lower it?
    I think statins will be exposed as one of the biggest medical scams in the decade(s) to come.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Foamroller wrote: »

Exactly what my mum says. She won't even take Vit D supps or eat dark green leafies, cause the "doctor said it might interfere with her meds". She belongs to the generation that believes anything doctors say is the gospel. #facepalm

According to the nnt.com, 1/100 people actually get T2D from using statins...If they didn't have previous heart condition. A minority of patients with previous heart attack (ca 40%) get helped as preventative measure. Patients with just high cholesterol are NOT helped on statins.

Yet millions worldwide are willing to endure impotence, muscle cramps, memory loss (hey the brain is bathed in a fat called myelin) to name a few of the known side effects...just based on dubious cholesterol numbers. Cholesterol is a vital part of the cell membrane. Why do the standard of care practices think it's a good idea to artificially lower it?
    I think statins will be exposed as one of the biggest medical scams in the decade(s) to come.

Interesting... I might have to look into this further. I've taken simvastatin for a very long time - long before I started losing weight and long before I was eating low carb. My HDL has always been low for as long as I can remember, even with simvastatin. LDL is usually good.

In fact, my employer offers insurance discounts for annual health screenings with a point system. If I don't get enough points based on the screening results, I can make some of them up by watching videos for areas where I did poorly. A couple years ago, my LDL was 17. This caused my total cholesterol to be lower than their reference range, which made me miss just enough points to have to watch the training videos. The cholesterol training video was all about the risk of high cholesterol and didn't even address LDL. My endocrinologist said that with LDL, the lower it is, the better... there really shouldn't be a low end on the reference range. Ugh, sometimes these guidelines intended to help the many end up hurting a few of us outliers. :(

Anyway, I've taken simvastatin for so long and I'm not so sure I really need it. But I also didn't know it could hurt me. I haven't had most of those side effects, except memory loss. I can't remember how long I've been taking simvastatin... :p