Bulking

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
Exactly what the title states. Anyone ever tried bulking on keto? I've tried to research this but it seems like no one has tried it or they tried cyclical keto or targeted keto.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I started with strict keto, and honestly, my gains in both strength and size sucked. I was getting fat pretty rapidly and little else. Switched to CKD, and even though I was still getting fat too fast, my strength was at least going up.

My individual opinion? Keto bulking is garbage. It's amazing for cutting, but horribly gimped for building. The hormones just aren't there for me. Some do pretty well with it. I do not appear to be one of those people. I'm getting far better results with a 40/30/30 p/f/c split. Requires more calories (3600 vs 2800), but my gain has been more gradual, strength is better, and I've put on less fat in three months than in two with keto.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    Would you say keto is a great tool for maintenance or cutting but not great for bulking? Will you return to keto after you're done bulking? I'm scared to transition back into eating carbs bc of the instant weight gain and cravings. My lifts suffered in the beginning but I feel like my strength is progressing even with strict keto. I just don't want to waste my time trying to bulk with keto when I can get better results with a traditional approach.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I use a psmf protocol for cutting. It does produce nutritional ketosis, but it's basically "keto dieting" with almost no fat; just trace in meats and fish oil caps for EFAs.

That said, yes, keto works great for maintaining and cutting. I just prefer to get cuts over with fast, so I can get back to real training.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 Have you looked into KetoGains? It's on Reddit, I believe. Darth Luiggi is the name of the main guy who is reputed to have done all his bulking and muscle gain, etc., while fully on keto.

@baconslave - please correct me if I'm wrong here.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 Have you looked into KetoGains? It's on Reddit, I believe. Darth Luiggi is the name of the main guy who is reputed to have done all his bulking and muscle gain, etc., while fully on keto.

@baconslave - please correct me if I'm wrong here.

As far as I know it's right on target. :smile:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yes. Take a look at Ketogains. They're on Facebook too. Luis Villasenor is the one mentioned as bulking on keto.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 where are your lifts at, and what are your bulk goals?
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Agreed with Gallowmere1984. Insulin stimulation/secretion (more) is necessary for gaining size
    IF is also futile for bulking
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    You can definitely gain muscle on a keto diet while losing weight.

I do not see why someone could not gain weight consuming more calories on a keto diet. Just eat more.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

I do not see why someone could not gain weight consuming more calories on a keto diet. Just eat more.

Ha! It's not working that way for Jason Wittrock so far.
    I'm not really saying you can't of course. His experience so far is just blowing my mind!!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @pdxhak My goal isn't just to gain weight, but to build muscle. I want to step on stage and compete in my first bikini competition. That's one of the items on my bucket list lol
    I am eating a ton more food and have been less active (used to work retail, 7k-10k steps 5 days/ week vs now 3k-5k steps and lifting heavy 2x-3x/ week) and I haven't gained any weight. Specifically, I was eating about 1800 calories then, and now I'm eating upwards of 2400 calories.
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I know, Jason's journey is incredible.
    @kirkor I was thinking about gaining 5-10lbs..or bulking until I was sick of looking at myself lol but I've never bulked before, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right since I'm not gaining any weight? I just started getting back into lifting, as of now I can deadlift/squat 80lbs, 3 sets of 10. Every week my lifts have steadily progressed.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @pdxhak My goal isn't just to gain weight, but to build muscle. I want to step on stage and compete in my first bikini competition. That's one of the items on my bucket list lol
    I am eating a ton more food and have been less active (used to work retail, 7k-10k steps 5 days/ week vs now 3k-5k steps and lifting heavy 2x-3x/ week) and I haven't gained any weight. Specifically, I was eating about 1800 calories then, and now I'm eating upwards of 2400 calories.
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I know, Jason's journey is incredible.
    @kirkor I was thinking about gaining 5-10lbs..or bulking until I was sick of looking at myself lol but I've never bulked before, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right since I'm not gaining any weight? I just started getting back into lifting, as of now I can deadlift/squat 80lbs, 3 sets of 10. Every week my lifts have steadily progressed.

If you just got back in, wait a few weeks. Let your CNS catch up to the muscle you already have. In the earliest stages, you're not going to be moving enough volume to actually overload your existing tissue.

Right now, you'll be building a buttload of "brain strength", and far less "muscle strength".
  • pdxhak
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - I follow a ketoish diet. Low carbs but higher in protein than the typical keto diet due to the amount of strength training I do. You can add muscle! Good luck with your prep!
  • pdxhak
    Options
    pdxhak wrote: »

Ha! It's not working that way for Jason Wittrock so far.
    I'm not really saying you can't of course. His experience so far is just blowing my mind!!

I am following his 4k calories videos as well :) Maybe he should increase his calories to 4.5k-5k ?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 Sorry but what is CNS? And when you were trying to bulk with strict keto, how can you tell if you were getting fat vs building muscle?

I'm also planning on taking creatine but I've heard that causes another 5-10lbs in bloat. Is it wise to start the creatine now or wait a few weeks? How would I know I'm getting fat or if it's water weight from creatine lol sorry for bombarding everyone with the questions.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Water weight from creatine does not cause the type of 'bloat' that I think you are thinking of.

I prolly won't explain this correctly, but hope that you will get the gist of my meaning:

Creatine actually increases the amount of water that the muscle tissue itself holds which makes the muscle (on the whole) appear larger. I think the 'bloat' that you are describing is sub-cutaneous water (i.e. not muscular water storage) which makes you look 'squishy' for want of a better description. Since the water in the muscles does have weight, it will cause some gain. The amount of gain will depend on the amount of muscle that you have and how your body responds to the creatine - some people have reported that creatine has no effect at all for them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    @Gallowmere1984 Sorry but what is CNS? And when you were trying to bulk with strict keto, how can you tell if you were getting fat vs building muscle?

I'm also planning on taking creatine but I've heard that causes another 5-10lbs in bloat. Is it wise to start the creatine now or wait a few weeks? How would I know I'm getting fat or if it's water weight from creatine lol sorry for bombarding everyone with the questions.

CNS=central nervous system. Basically, it's the early strength gains where your brain learns to properly fire the muscles you already have.

I track my bodyfat with calipers. They are usually off by a few percent when doing a measurement in isolation, but they are good for trend tracking. They were getting wider faster than they should have been. Plus, I was gaining 2.5 lbs. per week on 2800 kcals. Even the most juiced monster in the world can't build muscle that fast.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    Ok so I just wanted to update you guys on what's going on with my bulk:

I started at 131 pounds, eating about 1800 calories on avg.

Week 1: averaged 2220 calories
    End of Week Weight: 131.7

Week 2: averaged 2500 calories
    EOW Weight: 133.0

Week 3: averaged 2300 calories
    EOW Weight: 132.4

Week 3 weight by day
    132.4 (this morning)

Also, yesterday I ate wayyyy over calories, 3200 total, (damn you macadamia nuts!) and this morning I'm at my lowest weight.
    Thoughts?
    Strength is still progressing. Haven't started creatine supplement yet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think this is sort of looking like Wittrock's overeating experiment too...

How are you feeling on it?