How to Energy?

Options
lamiller82
lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
Hello again folks,

First... thank you so much for answering questions months ago when I first started this. This group was an amazing resource when I was just getting started on the LCHF train. You all are amazing.

Now, it's 6 months later, I've lost 55 lbs (305 to 250), and for the most part I am making progress. I had half of my thyroid cut out in July, started LCHF in August, met with an endocrinologist in October, and have been on levothyroxine for the past 3-4 months. Where I am still struggling is in my energy levels.

I am a HS teacher, and my lack of energy is really impacting my life. On a regular Friday, I come home and sleep for 12 hours to attempt to recharge my batteries. Ill turn 35 in 6 weeks... I should be able to handle this job and still have a life, but my endurance is SHOT. I go back to the endo in a week, but I thought I'd see if you all had any recommendations for me.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    T3 would probably help. The thyroid does not just make T4. It makes T0, T1, T3, etc. I found switching to natural desiccated thyroid made a big difference in my life.

It really helps if the doctors go by symptoms (energy, heart rate and body temperature) than just TSH. FreeT3 and Free T4 will tell you more too. Both should be in the 50-75% rane of the normal range regardless of what the TSH reading is.

For example, I feel poorly if my FT3 is not above mid-normal range even if my TSH looks good. In fact my TSH is usually near a 0.01 because it has T3 in it which supresses my TSH. This winter I was feeling slower, regaining weight, cold (97F) and my glands were tender. My doctor increased my dosage without even a blood test. I felt better again within a week or two.

At the very least, you probably need more T4. It just isn't enough hormone variety for many people.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance it's related at least in part to low sodium? You need between 3000-5000mg sodium a day on LCHF. Energy suffers without proper sodium levels.
  • Juliegray1963
    Juliegray1963 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check out stopthethyriodmadness.com
  • mike5884
    mike5884 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your lack of energy seems adnormal. My wife had her thyroid removed and is taking synthroid. In the past, when her levels were off, she'll experience low energy levels (energy levels just as you have expressed). Please make sure to share to your endo everything you're experience. Hopefully they order another blood work and you can get a good look at what your body is doing. Congrats! On all your weight loss.
  • lamiller82
    lamiller82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. My sodium is I think okay... and I was already suspecting it just being a medication thing. Luckily I'm back to the endo one week from today... we'll readjust and try again.