Leading With My Mind. My Body Will Follow.

Options
jenmek
jenmek Posts: 61 Member
After a year of injuries that led to depression - which led to binging and reintroduction to junk food, I'm finally feeling like I'm really on the mend. Yesterday, I ran 4 miles as my weekly "long run". I have to giggle when I write that, because 4 miles use to be a joke to me. "Long run" always meant a least 9 miles; 12 preferred. But as I ease back into running and attempt to not reinjur myself, I now find that 4 miles is my "long". *sigh*

During yesterdays run, I reflected that I feel good. Yes, my weight is still WAY FREAKING too high, but if I focus on how I am feeling...I feel good. I find that I'm not sitting here counting calories. I'm tracking, religiously. But I'm not over analyzing my food and exercise. I'm weaving in and out of my days with sometimes 400 calories over my daily goal and sometimes 400 under my goal. I'm focusing on healthy foods and consuming foods that my body can extract nutrients from and break down naturally. I'm trying not to eat too many chemicals, in the way of artificial sweeteners.

I become very introspectful when I run. It's therapy. I've resolved many of my internal woes during my hours alone pounding the pavement. That's a huge reason why I missed it so badly when I was injured. The level of emotional and mental healing only comes when I release my stress by physical exertion in addition to quiet time.

As I ran, I thought about this leg of my Weight Loss Journey. It came to me that it seems this time, I'm leading with my head. Not my pen and paper calculating calories or points or "Activity Points" (a Weight Watchers term). Leading with my head, and my body will follow. I liked that. I hope that this method will work for me, and it will turn into an easier lifestyle resulting in longer, consistent success.

I created this as a blog, but decided to post it here. I like to read the blogs of others, so if you're a blogger, please friend me so we can be "blog friends". LOL

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've long agreed that the head must come first when it comes to lifelong health. I, too, enjoy blogging, though I don't do as much of it here anymore, since MFP owns pretty much anything we ever post, but I'll shoot you a friend request, as well as my blog offsite. It do have a few years of blogs still here, though, too.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all your successes so far! I agree, it's hard to get healthy and maintain physical health when the mind is suffering. I recently re-started a plan that is similar to what you're describing- very "clean" for lack of a better word. When I did that almost a year ago, it made a world of difference. When I think back on it, what I miss most is how I felt both physically and mentally. I had more energy, was happier and more productive, and my physical ailments were virtually gone- zero heartburn, zero upset stomachs, better sleep. I also lost 15 lbs but strangely, the weight loss wasn't what meant the most to me. I've always been overly focused on just the scale but after feeling what it was like to be living a healthy lifestyle, now I just want to be that happy, energetic person again, and I know that if I go back to that lifestyle, I can be that person and the weight loss will follow.
  • AZIZAELLAZIZA
    AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Amen !!!!!!!!