Carb-Fiber = Net. can there be Negative carbs??

Options
AngiesCookie
AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
So I have seen 2 products now that have the fiber count higher than the carbs. Is this even possible? I though the fiber & sugars part of the "carbs". So you cant actually have more fiber than carb count. Am I Wrong?

Example in pics- I was checking out Hardee's low carb burger, removing pickles & onions to see what the net would end up being. it now shows 9 g fiber, but only 7 carbs. then net= -2 carbs. I mean, that would be awesome, but I cant imagine this is right.

I also saw this on a BBQ sauce once. It had a total of 7 carbs, with 11g fiber. I said it had to be a misprint ant it probably should have been 17 carbs...??

rw9lfo64xdzv.jpg

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    That's impossible. Were they already counting net carbs perhaps?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    It's an error. You can't have negative carbs. I think with the burger you'll have to look up the real carb/fiber count of the item you are eliminating and do your own math.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    rounding can be an issue...2.4 carbs will end up getting printed as 2...1.6 fiber will get printed as 2 - they aren't really a net zero
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Generally this happens with UK or more forward labels, as they count fiber separately, so in essence already use net carbs. I would imagine that the 7 is already removed fiber, and therefore the net carb amount, especially in light of the sauces on there, tomatoes, etc.

EDITED TO ADD: American cheese also has carbs.