Weight loss

Options
On average how many pounds a week do you lose on the Keto diet?

I'm 3 days in and down a bunch of water weight but I was wondering when the real weight loss kicks in. When will it even out? Is the loss typically continuous or are there lulls?

Right now I'm trying to stay within 1400 calories but if I go over a bit to meet my macros, I'm not sweating it. Trying to stick to whole foods.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Typically 1-2
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen and heard here, many, if not most, seem to have more of jagged line if their weight is graphed. For example someone may lose 4 lbs one week, gain a pound the next, stay flat for a week, lose 3 more, etc.

Don't get too caught up in short term results (positive or negative), but watch the trend.

Also, take measurements. It is common for people to actually gain weight or stay even while shrinking. Google "brown fat" and you will see this is a good fat that burns fat. Frequently when switching to this diet, if you have very little brown fat and lots of yellow (sometimes called white) fat, the first thing your body does is start replacing the yellow fat with brown fat. This is a good thing. However, if you aren't keeping track of measurements other than what the scale says, you may get discouraged initially. Measure wherever it is you store fat (i.e. waist, hips, thighs, neck, etc.) since not everyone stores it in the same place. You want to make sure you are able to see your progress even if it isn't apparent on the scale.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Week 1 - lost 8 lbs
    Week 2 & 3 - lost 4 lbs
    Week 4 - lost 2 lbs
    Week 5 & 6 stalled - lost 0 lbs
    Week 7 - lost 1lbs
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There is literally no way to estimate what you might actually see from week to week.
    My niece started keto with plenty of weight to lose a week ago and hasn't lost a single pound. She's getting every single other benefit of keto though.
    When I started with only 30-35 pounds to lose, I lost 10 the first week. And kept losing way more than expected for a few more weeks. Then it totally stopped and it's been over a year since I've lost a single new pound. No cheats. I actually aim to eat zero carbs and I never drink diet sodas or make keto faux foods and keto desserts are for birthday and major holidays only.
    But, I've continued to lose body fat somehow.
    I have a post in the FAQ under motivation called "There's no such thing as a stall".
    I know you're not stalled, but in that post, your questions are discussed. Might find it interesting
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. But I've been Keto 4 years and have lost 36kg. During one of those years I had surgery and gained 14kg, and lost it again by the end of that year. So if you say 3 years of losing weight, 36kg I would average 1kg a month (2lbs). Sometimes I go 6 weeks without any loss. Sometimes (rarely) I'll lose 1.5kg in 10 days. But I was 123kg when I started, and I'm 87kg now. A win's a win. I have about 13kg to go but I never thought I'd be under 90kg to be honest, and I look at it this way, if I hadn't made that change 4 years ago I'd now be 42 and 120+kg and diabetic. So there is that.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost 8lbs first 2 weeks, 10 total in 4 weeks. (Almost 2 weeks with no loss, then a 2lb dip)
    My Wife who's only doing low(er) carb has lost 15lbs in the same period.... no real way to tell how much anyone will lose.