5:2 with Carb Cycling?

Options
kamamakai
kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
Hi Everyone.

I'm very new here ... actually new to all of this. I am not quite sure yet what I’m doing, and thank you in advance for any advice!

I am trying to put together a plan I'd like to try, and wonder if you've ever heard of combining the 5:2 with carb cycling? It would only be for 8 weeks (trying to push myself off a plateau from last month). And after taking into account what I read here and what I’ve read about carb cycling (and finding one article that combined the two, and who advocated for a full fast day each week), the plan would look something like this:

Monday
0 Calories (Carbs 0%, Fat 0%, Protein 0%)
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
1000 Calories (Carbs 35%, Fat 5%, Protein 60%)
Thursday, Saturday
500 Calories (Carbs 5%, Fat 34%, Protein 60%)
Sunday
1800 Calories (Carbs 35%, Fat 5%, Protein 60%)

Hopefully I've put this together correctly. Thanks for your thoughts! Cheers!

Replies

  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome. For me, I would be concerned with that particular plan being too restrictive and therefore follow it up with bingeing. Your total calorie plan comes in for the entire week at 5800 cals, significantly lower than needed for healthy weight loss. Consider 1200 cals 5 days each week and 2 days non consecutive fast days worth 500 cals each. Let us know what happens!
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you @mamainthekitchen. I really appreciate your thoughts. So far this has been a little tough for sure! This was meant to be a short-term thing, but 8 weeks doesn't seem really short term right at the moment. :neutral: I will re-post after a bit .... Thanks so much.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That's an appalling low average calorie intake of 829/day - please think again.
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks @sijomial. I have to figure this whole thing out so that it makes sense ... I really do want to do this right, and I think maybe I need to drop the whole carb cycling addition to just stick to the 5:2 plan. I really was nervous that I might be over aggressive in this plan ... it definitely seems so based on feedback. I appreciate your input.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kamamakai wrote: »
    OK, thanks @sijomial. I have to figure this whole thing out so that it makes sense ... I really do want to do this right, and I think maybe I need to drop the whole carb cycling addition to just stick to the 5:2 plan. I really was nervous that I might be over aggressive in this plan ... it definitely seems so based on feedback. I appreciate your input.
    @kamamakai
    The 5:2 plan really does work and when you have nailed down your 5 days a week maintenance level then you get the planned slow, steady weight loss from the 2 days a week deficit days.
    Bonus is when you get to goal weight you are already eating at maintenance level and it seems "normal".

    Good luck.
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @kamamakai
    The 5:2 plan really does work and when you have nailed down your 5 days a week maintenance level then you get the planned slow, steady weight loss from the 2 days a week deficit days.
    Bonus is when you get to goal weight you are already eating at maintenance level and it seems "normal".

    Good luck.

    @sijomial
    Makes sense. I'm afraid that if I'm fortunate enough to get close to my goal weight, the maintenance portion will be a whole new world. Maybe this would help ease into that. As I often hike and do crossfit fairly regularly, though, I would imagine these can also be "bonus" calorie deficits for the day? Meaning, I wouldn't add those to my maintenance BMR calories, correct?

    Thanks again!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    kamamakai wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    @kamamakai
    The 5:2 plan really does work and when you have nailed down your 5 days a week maintenance level then you get the planned slow, steady weight loss from the 2 days a week deficit days.
    Bonus is when you get to goal weight you are already eating at maintenance level and it seems "normal".

    Good luck.

    @sijomial
    Makes sense. I'm afraid that if I'm fortunate enough to get close to my goal weight, the maintenance portion will be a whole new world. Maybe this would help ease into that. As I often hike and do crossfit fairly regularly, though, I would imagine these can also be "bonus" calorie deficits for the day? Meaning, I wouldn't add those to my maintenance BMR calories, correct?

    Thanks again!

    @kamamakai
    There's no such thing as bonus calories.
    Exercise and activity are just two energy needs of your body. They contribute to your TDEE, not your BMR.
    Everyone who is successfully maintaining their weight is eating their exercise calories whether they are labelling them as such or not.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Here are my two cents and what I do:
    First, have MFP calculate your daily calories based on sedentary activity and maintaining your weight. Try to stick to right around that for 5 days a week. On the other two take your normal day and aim for 1/4 (about 400-500 for most people). I personally consider any activity as "bonus" weight loss. For me, all the above leads to about a 3,000 calorie deficit for the week, or a pound lost. I hope this helps!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Not saying I agree with everything, but a few good thoughts I found on an 5:2 FB page. Your plan seems way to restrictive. 8 weeks are a long time to be that low.

    9iyl04a8xbn0.jpg
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your guidance. This is exactly what I was hoping for, in terms of insight. I appreciate your taking your time and your advice. :#