Scientists pinpoint blood sugar-Alzheimer's 'tipping point'

Options
2»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I knew there was a link, but expected it to be more than this. So high BG over time just damages the body's ability to fight progression of Alzheimer's once it has started? I always expected high BG's would be more directly linked to the initial cause.

This is encouraging, though. If it doesn't start in the first place, then high BG's won't matter (at least not for Alzheimer's). Isn't that a logical conclusion?

It's too early to tell. Dale Bredesen is coming with a new book on Alzheimer's this spring with case studies. In recent podcasts he's stated there's 34 hitherto known risk factors for developing Alzheimer's. High BG and glycation end products are only parts of the picture. I recommend his two lectures on THEIMHC and Stemtalk for an intro about the disease. So far I understand it's a complex disease that requires complex and multivariate treatment. No one magic pill.

I mean based on the paper published and summarized in the above link.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - Not in this link or paper above, but I have heard that high glucose levels in the brain are what create the uptake, processing, etc. issues in the first place. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with essentially insulin resistance of the brain cells and the whole storing everything but starving issue... I'll have to dig around and see if I can find other articles.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 - Not in this link or paper above, but I have heard that high glucose levels in the brain are what create the uptake, processing, etc. issues in the first place. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with essentially insulin resistance of the brain cells and the whole storing everything but starving issue... I'll have to dig around and see if I can find other articles.

I've heard this as well.
    I recall, though I don't know where, that the insulin resistant brain cells starve and die and that is part of the progression. I understood that this is how MCT's are beneficial, by being an energy source those insulin resistant cells can actually use, therefore slowing or maybe even preventing their death.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wish I was 20 years younger so I'd have the benefit of more definitive research on this topic :p:/ #kiddingnotkidding
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ here's the link for Dr. Mary Newport's book which discusses the studies. I just read the updated version about 6 months ago. Although her husband has died since (his was gene related early-onset), there's a lot of updated information there.
    I suggest reading it for anyone dealing with dementia (family/friends/caregivers). I borrowed it out of the library.
    https://amazon.com/Alzheimers-Disease-What-There-Cure/dp/1459671082
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I did not realize he had died. :(