Committed but struggling

Ells30
Ells30 Posts: 14 Member
So 3 years ago, I went paleo. I lost 30 lbs and was my high school weight. A year later, I toyed with adding a few grains back in (oats, quinoa, rice) and some dairy because I was feeling low energy and was bloated and it just didn't work. I gained a tad but also started putting muscle on at Crossfit. I am allergic to wheat. I never cheat unless it's a grain free and natural sugar cheat. Recently I cut down on fruit (banana lover.) Someone who body builds suggested I up my carbs to 180 per day and lower fat. I did that for a month and was up 3 lbs and feeling bloated. A nutritionist told me I might be a touch insulin resistant. Even though my numbers fall in normal, it's on the high side..(had gestational diabetes with both pregnancies) which she said explains my thick arms. She said they are not fatty just thick. So I'm going back down lower carb. She suggested 40g C, and a little higher for protein and fat. I am 5'0 150lbs. there is no fat on my legs or *kitten*. I have dense muscle mass. Just some baby belly and some thick arms. I'm getting frustrated because I am only maintaining. I have a little fat loss to lose and haven't lost in a long time. Any advice? It's so frustrating to not see results when you are so committed!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Take measurements, don't rely on the scale as your only metric. Particularly since you are muscular. I have somehow managed to gain 4 lbs while dropping a belt notch and fitting into smaller shorts, it's not all about the scale.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    In your case I truly feel you need to rely more on measurements and BF%. If you're currently 5'0" 150 with dense muscle it could just be you will lean out in the upper body slower than lower body. I'm the same way and it's frustrating because what you see in the mirror is waist up mostly. With crossfit training you definitely need to keep energy up and recovery going strong so I couldn't suggest too severe of a deficit!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I don't have any major suggestions other than to say, you're either insulin resistant or you're not. That's like being a "touch pregnant." IMO. If you have any insulin sensitivity issues, I'd research how to improve insulin sensitivity and reduce insulin resistance, unless you're willing to try a medication to help with that. I am insulin resistant, but on the flip side activity/weight/muscle wise. Just know that if you don't address any insulin issues, it will worsen and it will cause other issues. Bananas in particular, unless immediately prior to a heavy workout, are evil to insulin... Sending good thoughts.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Are you using any protein supplements?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @Ells30 - Any updates for us?