Food for Thought: Protein

Options
Veterans on this board probably are well versed in this, but I am a newbie and for all other newbies here are of couple of my summarized learnings. If you are like me and on a LCHF (low carb high fat) diet, no where in there is a HP (high protein) - too much protein will trigger insulin production. I didnt realize that! LCHF'ers need to increase sodium! another huge learning. If your on a LCHF and not seeing results, check your protein sizes! Also, on LCHF you must, must increase your green vegetables. This will provide the fiber and nutrients that are gone when on a LCHF. Enough for now. I am really loving being on this journey with everyone on this board.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    You don't have to increase veggies. There are some here who do zero carb very successfully and for whom fiber causes digestive issues.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    You don't have to increase veggies. There are some here who do zero carb very successfully and for whom fiber causes digestive issues.

Where do you get your vitamins?
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @johnnylew, I tend to follow both suggestions you indicated above" adequate/moderate protein and green leafy vegetables. I'm not an athlete and vegetables have fortunately never caused me digestive issues (and I like them).

Thanks KPK, I agree, what works for me might not work for others. Very true, plus I am in a weight loss mode, which again the majority on the board might just be in maintenance mode. Where green vegetables work very well for me, it might not for others. When I started LCHF I was eating alot of protein, more than 6 ounces sometimes per meal. I had no idea that too much protein could block the benefits of low carbs. Then when I kept reading (this board and other resources) I realized, there is no High Protein being promoted. It's high fats and low carbs. I am still learning, adjusting and finding what is right. Once I reach my ideal goal, then my perspective will change for I will have to stop the decrease and get into maintain mode.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    One can eat an all meat diet and not need to supplement anything. The same is not true of an all vegetarian diet. That's why so many items are "fortified"
  • RodrigoBuntan
    RodrigoBuntan Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    How much protein is too much protein? My current macros are around 40g carbs, 100g protein and 108g Fat but I keep thinking I've got my protein set too high and I struggle to to hit my fat goal daily. At least I am ok on the carbs.

Then again... today I've had 122g protein :neutral:

I also need to track down some info on sodium/potassium/magnesium as I think that is another area I'm failing at.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    How much protein is too much protein? My current macros are around 40g carbs, 100g protein and 108g Fat but I keep thinking I've got my protein set too high and I struggle to to hit my fat goal daily. At least I am ok on the carbs.

Then again... today I've had 122g protein :neutral:

I also need to track down some info on sodium/potassium/magnesium as I think that is another area I'm failing at.

To answer your question of how much is too much, we first need some info about yourself like height, weight, goals (lose weight, maintain weight, etc), activity levels, do you currently exercise (and what types - cardio/weights/mix), stuff like that.

I can tell you that I am currently averaging 110 - 120 grams of protein a day, and there are others in this group that go as high as 200+ grams a day.
  • RodrigoBuntan
    Options
    I should have guessed it is a very personalised number...

I'm male, 5'9" and 165lbs and I'm trying to get down to 140-145lbs (to be determined when I get there). I'm trying to lose around 1.5lb to 2lb a week and my calorie intake is set at 1500 a day.

I exercise once a week (I run 5k) but I'm working on increasing that to 2 and eventually 3 times a week (5k each time). Other than that I work in an office so sit down most of the day. I don't eat back my exercise calories.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated as, although I've lost weight before (I got down to 150 a year or two back), I've only been trying LCHF for just over 2 weeks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The gluconeogenesis thing doesn't actually work quite the way it is often thought to.
    It's going to happen every day no matter how much protein you eat. Eating "too much" is really only applicable in a metabolism that is dysfunctional in such a way that you have a higher demand for glucose. Such as hyperinsulinemia. However, so many people are hyperinsulinemic even if they don't know it. That's why it's not uncommon for people to find that eating a lot seems to affect their blood sugar more. But, once insulin is lowered and the hyperinsulinemia begins to correct itself, or if you don't have it to begin with, there really is no reason to limit protein.
    Essentially, GNG is demand driven. Not supply driven.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info @RodrigoBuntan

General guidelines for you:
    1. You don't want to lose muscle as you lose weight so keep the protein about where you have it now. Muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat so not losing the muscle will help to maintain a higher BMR as you lose.
    2. The carb goal is very personal (unless you are doing this for medical reasons) - 40 grams is your set point so try to stay under that goal.
    3. Fat - this is a bit tricky and takes some experimenting with levels, but the general rule is that you should stay under on carbs, hit the goal on protein and then eat enough of the fats to keep yourself from feeling hungry between meals. There is no reason to eat extra fat (like fat bombs or table spoons of fat just to hit the goal - your body has fat stores and any fat that it needs that does not come from food will come from the fat stores that you have. This is not to say that you need to eat low-fat! Fat is essential to the body for absorption of vitamins and for hormone production and regulation - eat fat, but don't worry if you are not reaching an arbitrary number from your foods.

Just a general warning - until your body becomes fat-adapted (using fat for fuel instead of carbs), you may find that your workouts suffer a little, but this will pass with time. Also, watch your electrolytes - salt is your friend and not your enemy - most of us in the LCHF world consume 3-5 grams of salt a day - this will help keep your body from flushing out other electrolytes and keeps your body in a better balance.
  • RodrigoBuntan
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice/guidelines @ccrdragon

I will stop worrying about my protein intake and just keep a watchful eye on sodium & potassium.

I did notice a drop in performance the first week I was eating low carb but the next two runs I noticed an improvement - I had much more endurance, enough to pull of a full sprint finish.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Cadori wrote: »

Where do you get your vitamins?

CS3MAwlWwAA6lTQ.png:large

I know it has been said, but meat contains everything you need. As for the protein issue, as long as you get enough, I don't see any great harm in keeping it within a reasonable range. I, personally, don't see any great purpose/benefit in restricting it; but, lots of people feel like it helps them. The last 5 days I have averaged over 200 grams a day. It's not hurt my scale numbers at all. Actually, the opposite. My fat intake has been lower than usual. It hasn't been intentional. I've just been craving leaner cuts than normal. That and I have a bunch of goat meat. Goat is pretty lean to start with.

I guess the protein argument is important if ketone levels are your primary goal. I don't worry or even think of ketone levels, anymore. I used to be more obsessed than most everyone (tracking blood, breath, and urine ketones). These days, I just go with the flow.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The gluconeogenesis thing doesn't actually work quite the way it is often thought to.
    It's going to happen every day no matter how much protein you eat. Eating "too much" is really only applicable in a metabolism that is dysfunctional in such a way that you have a higher demand for glucose. Such as hyperinsulinemia. However, so many people are hyperinsulinemic even if they don't know it. That's why it's not uncommon for people to find that eating a lot seems to affect their blood sugar more. But, once insulin is lowered and the hyperinsulinemia begins to correct itself, or if you don't have it to begin with, there really is no reason to limit protein.

Interestingly enough, the thing that most quickly corrected my hyperinsulinemia was carnivore, with no protein restriction.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Interestingly enough, the thing that most quickly corrected my hyperinsulinemia was carnivore, with no protein restriction.

That doesn't shock me. Whole food protein sources tend to cause a lower and slower insulin increase, especially if fatty cuts are used. Slowed gastric emptying and all of that. Even whole milk protein causes a much lower increase than either of its components in isolation.