I ENTERED THE WEIGHT ROOM!!

Options
laura751
laura751 Posts: 11 Member
So, after buying the book a couple of weeks ago, reading it and making sure I pretty much had the first two workouts memerised, this morning I took the plunge and stepped foot in the weight room!! I've been so intimidated, especially as it's such a segregated part of my gym but I got there as the gym opened, set up the squat rack and went for it! I really enjoyed the workout and am looking forward to seeing my strength and fitness improve.

Anyone else recently conquer the fear?!

Replies

• mdivamuffin
    mdivamuffin Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is also my biggest fear. My gym doesn't have separate male and female weight areas so I'm nervous about going and trying to lift in front of all the buff men. I only just bought the book and am getting over an illness but this is definitely what makes me most nervous about starting.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    great job! once you get into a routine, you will be way more comfortable. just keep on going in and doing your thing! most other people there are doing the same - doing their own thing! keep on acting like you belong there... because you do!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've been lifting for a while now, but I know how intimidating it was at first. Even yesterday, there was this guy that I don't know that was hogging the entire gym. Have fun!
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    great job! once you get into a routine, you will be way more comfortable. just keep on going in and doing your thing! most other people there are doing the same - doing their own thing! keep on acting like you belong there... because you do!

Exactly this! There are a few other women who use the weight room (entire 4th floor of my gym), but I'm the only one that uses the squat rack. One day a guy came up to me and told me that I was totally badass and that my squat form was perfect. But, other than that, everyone minds their own business.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever had a dude comment that wasn't being paid by me to do so was when someone asked me while I was setting up "You deadlift? Respect!" :laugh:

There's no need to be intimidated. Anybody who has the time or mental energy to look at you and judge you is not paying enough attention to his or her workout and consequently does not matter. (unless it's a personal trainer, and if it's not your personal trainer, then only if you're about to do something dangerous, and in those cases, again, no need to be intimidated!)
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! I had the book for about 5 months before I finally took the plunge.

Now you're going to wonder how it was ever so hard!
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I'm fortunate in that I've been exposed to weight lifting from a pretty young age. In high school, I learned how to use the machines. In college, I took a basic weight lifting class where I learned how to squat and use free weights. Even with this knowledge, I still felt a bit intimidated by venturing into the weights section in my gym for the first time. Now, I'm completely comfortable with it. I've only seen a few other women lifting at my gym, and of those, only ONE who ever uses the free weights.

None of the other guys talk to me, but people aren't really talkative in general at my gym. It's a comfortable silence.

One guy was on the squat rack for a pretty long time the other day. I approached him and asked how many sets he had left, implying that I was waiting to use it. He said he had two sets left but then was switching to deadlifts. However, he let me use it after he finished his squats but before he began DLs. So, speaking up can be helpful!
  • laura751
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. Looking forward to getting back in there tomorrow for Workout B. Think I'll stick to the 6.30am starts for now, just until I get a bit more comfortable with lots of people around :laugh:
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. Looking forward to getting back in there tomorrow for Workout B. Think I'll stick to the 6.30am starts for now, just until I get a bit more comfortable with lots of people around :laugh:

early morning workouts are what i prefer too! there's like NO ONE around and there's no waiting for equipment. or worrying about if other people are looking at you sticking your butt out while you do squats.
  • BreMurie
    BreMurie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to the intimidation. I was fully ready to go in and conquer my fear of the 'buff dudes' and I did, except when I did the gym was insane packed and there seemed to be a lot of just sitting on the machines done (resting periods, I'd imagine). So I felt even more intimidated standing around waiting for things.. like I looked even more like I didn't belong. I belong to a Gold's gym, and finally I realized.. this isn't the style of gym that is going to help me conquer my fears/intimidation and I switched to Anytime Fitness. I've done the first two workouts in stage one and couldn't be more happy about the gym set up and how quiet it is!!

I know that it seems silly to switch gyms just because of how busy it is, but knowing me, I would ALWAYS find excuses to skip the gym because I was scared/intimidated.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've just read enough of the book where I can start the workout, and I am terrified of actually going to the weight room at the gym. Typically I do the cardio machines, maybe the weight machines in the "ladies only" room, and go to some classes, but the actual weight room terrifies me. Just walking past it to go to the ladies room intimidates me. Any tips for getting over this?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just march in, put your earbuds in, keep your eyes on your own form in the mirror and follow the plan.

One thing that should make you feel more confident is that the NROLFW plan includes respectable lifts and most of the people in the weight room, if they notice you at all, will know that you are serious about working out by the lifts you're doing. Most women who venture into the weight room only use the 5 to 15 pound dumbbells and leave, so you'll get some credibility with squats and deadlifts. If you stick with it for a while, you'll become a regular and fit right in.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm about to make my way in to the weight room for the first time in YEARS. I have my log pages printed off and my book tabbed.
  • laura751
    Options
    I've just read enough of the book where I can start the workout, and I am terrified of actually going to the weight room at the gym. Typically I do the cardio machines, maybe the weight machines in the "ladies only" room, and go to some classes, but the actual weight room terrifies me. Just walking past it to go to the ladies room intimidates me. Any tips for getting over this?

You really just have to stride on in there and do it! But if it helps, I've now just completed my 5th workout and some of the guys who work out at the same time as me say hello in the mornings...it does get better!!