Keto OK protein bars

Options
I'm in my second week of Keto, and even with a couple of mistakes I am starting to feel good with it. My doctor recommended Ultralean Gluco Support protein bars by BioGenesis. Basically, I'm supposed to be keeping my carbs and sugar low, though, and I just realized that each of these little bars has 25g of carbs! That's quite a lot to work around, even if I only eat one a day. I really do need some portable, good-for-me fast food though for snacks when I'm on the road for work.

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Or a good recipe? I'm supposed to be sugar free, low carb, and no nuts yet...nuts will be added back into my diet in a couple of weeks I hope.

Replies

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Even Atkins bars have less carbs than that. This early in your new way of eating, I would stick with homemade stuff like bacon, blurberries, string cheese and pork rinds. When I travel, I pack these in small portion sized baggies. Can you do seeds? Include sunflower seeds too.

There is a low carb snicker doodle cinnamon cookie that never goes bad that's good for travel. It's on most low carb internet recipe sites but I think I Breath I'm Hungry has it. It's dry and wont go stale or bad. When I first started, I just stuck with real food so my tastebuds adjusted to the real flavors of food. After awhile on low carb you stop wanting all those sugary flavors. But your taste buds kind of have to get use to it and using artificial sweetners kind of ruin that process. Most of those bars are packed with artificial sweetners.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Raw Rev Glo bars are a good low-net carb option if you don't want to worry about dogs and diabetics following you around when the bacon in your shirt pocket gets warm...
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Raw-Rev-Glo-Mixed-Nuts-Caramel-and-Sea-Salt-300x225.jpg

Never had these before but WOW they were amazing. I would eat all the time if they weren't so small. Almost half the size of a quest bar for the same amount of calories. The chocolate in it was sooo creamy and when I bit it it squeezed out all over, almost melty. Very good, didn't expect this to be that good. Tasted way better than it looked! Also tried the chocolate peanut butter and regular creamy peanut butter but my favorite was the caramel one. Very good peanut butter and creamy chocolate though that melts in your mouth. Regular peanut butter was just boring, tasted like eating a few spoonfuls of PB, which was good though don't get me wrong lol.

I buy the "boring" Creamy PB & Sea Salt - 3g net carbs per bar, and it tastes great!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Raw Rev Glo bars are a good low-net carb option if you don't want to worry about dogs and diabetics following you around when the bacon in your shirt pocket gets warm...

Where do you get these? I'm currently without access to a kitchen or refrigerator, so cooking my own meals is out. Low-carb meal replacement bars would be helpful.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I get mine through Amazon Subscribe & Save when the price is $15/case or better. But I watch my local health food stores and can get them for around $10 once in a while.

You can often find ordinary Raw Revolution bars in stores, which probably have the ability to order Raw Rev Glo bars as well.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    @bluelemonegg

Some ppl use hard boiled eggs as an easy to prepare snack , there are a few protein bars without nuts and I have nut allergies, so completely get what you're asking.
    Are you allowed to eat pickles?
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »

Where do you get these? I'm currently without access to a kitchen or refrigerator, so cooking my own meals is out. Low-carb meal replacement bars would be helpful.

I find these in Fresh Thyme stores usually tucked away on the bottom shelf. I keep them in my fridge-gives the bars a nice chewy consistency.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    The OP can't eat any type of NUT, not sure if she can have seeds or not.
  • bluelemonegg
    bluelemonegg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After awhile on low carb you stop wanting all those sugary flavors. But your taste buds kind of have to get use to it and using artificial sweetners kind of ruin that process. Most of those bars are packed with artificial sweetners.

I am noticing that already. I tried to eat an apple and couldn't eat the whole thing...it was just TOO SWEET. :)

• bluelemonegg
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @bluelemonegg

Some ppl use hard boiled eggs as an easy to prepare snack , there are a few protein bars without nuts and I have nut allergies, so completely get what you're asking.
    Are you allowed to eat pickles?

I think pickles are allowed! As long as there is no sugar. Good idea.
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    Since I started eating those Ultralean Gluco Support bars occasionally, even keeping my carbs under my goal, I've noticed that my Keto strips have been testing at the trace and none levels, vs. small or trace. Yesterday I didn't eat any at all, sticking close to home I was able to prepare something every couple of hours instead. This morning I'm back at the "small" reading. So I'm wondering if these bars are a bit too much of a carb bomb. Thank you all for the suggestions--I'm going to make some egg and bacon "muffins" and hard boiled eggs today for portable snacks and try to stay away from the bars for now.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    The trick for many of us is to figure out how many net carbs we can eat and stay in ketosis.

You can track your daily intake, but there are people around these parts who have tolerances down to net carbs per 2-hour block. B)

Some bars are tougher to squeeze in than others, and some won't ever fit if you track 2-hour blocks.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Grenade do really nice ones called Carb Killa. 13.5g carbs

bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/grenade-carb-killa-12-bars?prod=7499-C&gclid=COiLl7zGsNICFUU8GwodtYQKYQ

The whole 'impact carbs' thing confuses me a bit, but I have one before I go weightlifting and they taste really good!

ETA They have additional flavours, that was the first website I picked, seems a bit rubbish tbh.
  • ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    There is a low carb bakery in San Diego called Julian Bakery. Sometimes I get bars shipped from them.. but I do have to say that I have a love/hate relationship with them.. sometimes I'll order a certain flavor of bars and they will be amazing! And the next order of the same flavor will not be very good at all. I like the almond fudge bars... most of the time
  • RalfLott
    edited February 2017
    Options

Be careful with Julian - it's been the subject of FDA warnings for false labeling.
    For example:
    http://low-carb-scams.com/another-julian-bakery-fda-warning-letter/
  • ceceblackstock327
    ceceblackstock327 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Be careful with Julian - it's been the subject of FDA warnings for false labeling.
    For example:
    http://low-carb-scams.com/another-julian-bakery-fda-warning-letter/

Cool, thanks
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Marigold bars (super ultra LCHF friendly!!):

https://www.marigoldbars.com/

Keto Bars:

http://www.ketobars.com/products/keto-bars-10-pack

Yup brand B-up bars (higher in carbs, but I just cut them in 1/4ths - fairly clean ingredients):

http://yupbrands.com/

Quest Bars: (higher in carbs, but I just cut them in 1/4ths - not as clean ingredients as Yup brand):

http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars

Power Crunch Bars (they have the least clean ingredients of the bars I've posted in this list if that matters to you):

http://powercrunch.com/

I consider Marigold Bars the gold standard but try some and see what you find you like, can live with and works for you.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Primal kitchen has a variety of bars.
    http://www.primalkitchen.com/products/almond-dark-chocolate-bars/

They are sometimes cheaper on Amazon and definitely cheaper if you're a Thrive Market member.