Airplane food

Options
eneild
eneild Posts: 198 Member
Currently sitting in LAX after a 12 hour flight from New Zealand on Air New Zealand. Just for kicks, ordered the diabetic meal for me. Dinner last night was chicken with a tomato sauce, green beans, zucchini, boiled potatoes, whole wheat roll, margarine, pasta salad, and a piece of "diabetic friendly" apricot cake for dessert. Breakfast was slightly better. An omelet, spinach, tomatoes, a fruit cup, whole wheat roll, and margarine. At least, at dinner, I was able to grab the hunk of Kapiti cheese off of my daughter's dinner and use her "real" butter in my coffee this morning!

We flew over last week on United and despite ordering a diabetic meal, all I was offered was barbecue chicken, filled pasta, or the vegetarian meal with rice.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My policy is to just say no to airline foods. I get a salad after I clear the security lines if it is a long flight. I've done US to AU a few times, back then I could eat more carbs so it wasn't an issue, today, I'd pick up a few items more in the food court for that long of a trip and fast the rest of the time. I find my Kindle helps me forget about the length of flights, I load a couple of books I want to read and do that instead of eating while flying.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Amen to that!

If I had to choose between "healthy" airplane vs. "healrhy" conference food, it might be akin to choosing between turpentine and ipecac cocktails for happy hour. :s

I flew home myself today and managed to pack enough almonds and macadamia nuts to keep my mind off food till I got home. (Well, almost....)