Air fryer

Options
linmueller
linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
edited February 2017 in Social Groups
I've been hearing about air fryers for a while, and decided to try one. I'm not big on 'fake food', BUT so far, I love what I've made in my air fryer.

French fries - 1# potatoes, 1 tsp oil, seasoned salt. Came out brown and crispy!

Matchstick carrots - 1/2# carrot sticks, 3/4 tsp oil, s/p. Textures varied, some really crisp, some not so much. Also had a little excessive browning, but I actually like that. Really good for an appetizer or snack!

Chicken tenders - seasoned flour, egg whites, and panko bread crumbs (no added oil). So crunchy, moist, tender, and delicious! After eating these, I can't wait to try breaded cod!

If you've missed fried foods, this might just be the appliance you're looking for.

I wish I could share pics, but I have no clue of how to do that LOL

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,987 Member
    Options
    Getting a lot of chatter at our meeting too. Going to try potatoes on a cake cooling screen in our convection oven first.
  • linmueller
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    Getting a lot of chatter at our meeting too. Going to try potatoes on a cake cooling screen in our convection oven first.

I've heard mixed reviews. I'd be curious to hear what you think ...
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Getting a lot of chatter at our meeting too.

Same here. Three or four women at our meeting said they cook all kinds of things in them and really love the flavor!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    oven baking w dry panko works great or in smoker grill so why not??
  • linmueller
    Options
    podkey wrote: »
    oven baking w dry panko works great or in smoker grill so why not??

It's a different texture. Serious crunch. If that's a texture you miss, this thing is golden! And since I love potato chips ...
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,235 Member
    Options
    This sounds very interesting.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    The cake screen method has not produced the same results for me (I've tried this in both convection and regular oven settings).

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the end product. Of course, I really love the crisp/crunch that you just can't get from a carrot (though I love them, too). Sadly, my wife has a permanent ban on any new gadgets in the kitchen, so I can't purchase one.

BTW, I don't consider the end product to be Frankenfood. The results are completely natural foods prepared slightly differently. Frankenfood usually implies a chemical concoction, often of unknown origins.
  • Al_Howard
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the end product. Of course, I really love the crisp/crunch that you just can't get from a carrot (though I love them, too). Sadly, my wife has a permanent ban on any new gadgets in the kitchen, so I can't purchase one.

Yeah, TOL said no also.

BTW, did you try it way hot? Like 500 degrees?
  • johnlreeb
    johnlreeb Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    OK, you guys forced me to go to Amazon and buy one.
  • linmueller
    edited February 2017
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »

BTW, I don't consider the end product to be Frankenfood. The results are completely natural foods prepared slightly differently. Frankenfood usually implies a chemical concoction, often of unknown origins.

You are absolutely right! This is real food. BUT it is not 'friends' food'. On the other hand, fried food often tastes super greasy, and this definitely does not, so a real plus!
  • linmueller
    Options
    BTW, did you try it way hot? Like 500 degrees?

Mine only goes up to 400', so no. I went cheap! I wasn't sure if I'd like it or use it much, so I went with the $43 Walmart farberware one.
  • Al_Howard
    Options
    I was referring to an oven with convection. Thinking of trying fries, with a cake cooling rack,
  • linmueller
    Options
    I was referring to an oven with convection. Thinking of trying fries, with a cake cooling rack,

Oops, gotcha.