Just learning about eating clean. Also a bit about me

Options
So here the deal I go go by JoJo
I started off at 277lb and I'm 5'9
I found out I had thyroid problems, so my doc recommend U should eat healthier and regulate my thyroid with meds. Which I did. Within eating healthy and tracking my meals I have never been a big meat eater. I cut out red meats years ago and sailt when I lived with my parents due to my dad's Deit restrictions. So I decided to go full on vegetarian for my moral reasons and it also good for my weight loss. I've been at this for 3 months now and I feel great. I lost a total of 30lb. My goal is to get down below 200lb but small steps. I wish i could say this was easy but its hard learning how eat right. Im ajusting what foods are important for my body. Also do any of use coconut oil for cooking? I want to know more about eating clean. I'm all new to it

Replies

• VEelliott
    VEelliott Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Joannefeo, I am learning about clean eating and trying to do it more and more. I have two sisters that are gluten free due to allergies. One sister has been 9 months now without a migraine! But I was writing you about coconut oil. I have found that trying to stay under 7 Sat Fats a day helps me lose weight! Coconut oil is the highest sat. fat on the market so if your working on losing weight you may want to stay away from it. I use EVOO
  • Schmitty_89
    Schmitty_89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi Joanne, first off congratulations on your journey thus far! :D Sounds like you are making awesome progress! And also welcome to the group! I use a little coconut oil for cooking, not much because a little goes a lot way. I also use a little for my hair. It can help detangle and moisten dry hair. It has many uses other than cooking and hair as well. Check this out. ---> o8jvvqoueis1.jpg If you are into essential oils too, it is a great base to diffuse the oil. Sometimes I will mix it with a little lavender and put it on my temples for relaxation before bed.

As for food, are you mixing eggs into your diet? They have quite a bit of protein in them. I find that adding eggs and vegetables to any dish is really easy. I try to mix veggies with every meal too to get in my fiber. Also I love avocados. They are a great source of healthy fats. <3

I do know much about thyroid. What kind of symptoms are you going through? I am recovering from a herniated disc so I have been putting in a lot of research into what I can eat that can help with sciatic nerve pain. I have found that increasing foods with magnesium helps with inflammation and adding spices like tumeric and ginger helps a lot. (Spinach is another great source of that too.) I think a lot of spices and healthy foods can be more powerful than taking medication.

Are there any specific foods you like or recipes? Maybe we all can share something. :D