Blood sugar tanked.

Options
Scorpiotwin
Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
I restarted trying to lose weight after an absurd holiday weight gain and I've been doing this for about a week. My carbs I try to keep around 100 plus I'm walking for about an hour plus and some light weight training. My blood sugar is usually in the mid 200's low 300's unless I take large amounts of Insulin. I'm on two insulins and metformin. Tonight I probably had what as I would describe as a tank in blood sugar. I took my sugar after I had some chocolate and cashews, trust me I needed it, and it was only 120 I can't even remember it being that low.

So my question is are there any diabetic/IR people that have experienced this? Should I up my carbs until I figure out the meds or should I back off the meds and stick to the plan? My original plan was to step down my carbs until I hit around 50 per day.

Sorry for the long post just looking for some advice.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Should you increase carbs? Only if you don't want to reduce insulin... plus, 120 isn't low.
    Anything from 70 to 100 is where you want to be.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    But, as someone who is used to being at 200-300, 120 can feel like a complete crash, I've been told... You may need to work on leveling out at your current space before stepping down again...

A 120 PP reading is close to optimal, to my understanding.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ That's really interesting when you stop to think about it...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Go the the diabetes thread at the top of the group's home page to get a full education on LC and diabetes, tons of resources there to help you.
  • Scorpiotwin
    Scorpiotwin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice. Until I can get in to the doctor. I've decided to just keep taking the metformin and cut back on the levemir. I am still taking my fast acting insulin as well but a lot less of it.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You know what else i find weird?
    Whenever it's a T2 person, there's always the advice to talk to the doctor about lowering insulin. It's always a fixed dose on a fixed schedule. And any changes have to go through the doctor.
    For a T1D, even as children, they are taught how to adjust their dosing on their own. Every single day may be a completely different amount from the day before and there's no phone call to the doctor. Even adjustments to long acting are fine that way. They tell you, "start here" and adjust based on your morning blood sugars.
    The lack of patient empowerment by doctors in the T2D community is sad. They truly seem to make it all so glib and as if you aren't in control.
    Sorry, this subject struck a nerve. Lol

yes Mam , my husband is a type 1 diabetic and has been since he was 19 and he is now 58 , he has to adjust his dosage all the time , when he works 12 hour days he takes less, if he is home and being lazy he takes more , he also has very low blood sugar readings and also has high ones , but for 80% of the time he is good , we have been married for 26 years and he has had 6 seizures in those 26 years , from low blood sugar . BUt he has to take his sugar test up too 5 times a day . (sometimes) He does it himself , yes he sees a doctor every 3 months , but it is up to my husband to keep himself in check
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @Scorpiotwin, in case you haven't already gotten around to it, I would suggest you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution and watch his insulin-themed Diabetes University videos on YouTube. They are extremely informative, and his approach is pure LC, with as little insulin and Metformin as necessary.

BTW he's his own best success story - still going strong in his 80s with T1D, on a LC diet for decades B), by studiously disregarding conventional medical and ADA exhortations to eat more carbs and take more insulin. :s

I second the suggestion to read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. What an awesome guy. His story and his life are amazing. He was actually an engineer (with Type 1) who got fed up with the medical stupidity going on and decided to become an MD himself to help other diabetics. I thoroughly enjoyed his book because even though he is an MD I can see the engineer as well, heh. Do check him out. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    120 right after eating something is good.

If you are 120 while fasting, it is too high. If you normally run 200's and 300's, you really need to get to 120 (and even lower) RIGHT NOW!!!

Staying in the 200's and 300's all the time is what ruins your health.