Living the Lifestyle Tuesday 2/28/17

Options
Rachel0778
Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday --88olds (George)
Tuesday --Rachel0778 (Rachel)
Wednesday -- misterhub (Greg)
Thursday --Imastar2 (Derrick)
Friday -- whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: Recipes

I know we've talked about it before, but what are some new recipes/foods that you've been trying? Did you find any new recipes you love when WW switched to SPs? What are some old favorites you fall back on?

Replies

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    My wife made this last week and I thought it was great. She used turkey sausage.
    http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/one-pan-healthy-italian-sausage-veggies/
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I make a low-point vegetarian chili from a recipe I have developed over two decades. It's incredibly tasty, and several hardcore meat eaters have challenged me as to whether it contains meat or not. It does not. All the points come from the beans and the TVP used as the meat base. I prepare this 4-5 times a year, and I let it sit in the fridge for 3-4 days before eating it because the flavors become so much more robust. I don't have the recipe written down. But, I'll see if I can write it up today and post it.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    I haven't come up with any new recipes but I sure would like to have some.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options

misterhub wrote: »
    All the points come from the beans and the TVP used as the meat base.

TVP??? I am interested in your recipe Greg. I just started working on a new turkey chili recipe last weekend based on one I found in the NYT recipe database. I am at a good starting place but need continue to develop it.

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    TVP is textured vegetable protein. It's soy based and often resembles ground beef; although, it can be formed into other items (e.g., breakfast sausage). The key to the proper use of it is taking the time to prepare the flavors that it will soak up. Too many people just toss it in at the last minute, without any prep work, and wonder why it tastes bland.

I will write up the recipe and post it. But, it will be later today. Pretty overwhelmed with priorities at work today.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste Pork Posale
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-pork-and-green-chile-stew/

Except I was too lazy to cut up pork loin so I used skinless, boneless chicken thighs instead. They fall apart in the crockpot.

I found the "heat" wasn't enough for me so I add some hot salsa and hot pico de gallo when I eat it.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    I will be trying the pork recipe this week. I loaded up the freezer with tenderloins when they were on a good sale.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is low carb pasta. Mix in whatever is available.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    The air fryer has been my best friend.

Last night I ate leftovers. I had air fried panko coated chicken tenders and mashed potatoes. Added some Primo Spicy Garlic Arrabbiatta Pasta Sauce. It was sooooo good. Not really cooking or a recipe, but an awesome dinner. Added leftover veggies.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    DW made zucchini vegetti with Italian-style chicken meatballs and her homemade pasta sauce. It was awesome!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    These are a new favorite. I've only made the meatballs versus the entire sandwich. I substitute half a pound of ground turkey for half a pound of pork and reduce the salt. I use a scoop and get 18 meatballs. MFP calculates this to 64 calories per meatball.

I plan to make the pickled veggies at some point, but for now, they're good with an iceberg salad with red wine vinegar. I could see doing a lettuce wrap version too.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pork-meatball-banh-mi-356790
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    As usual, I've got nothing to add to this thread but appreciate those that did. Some of these look really good and might be a great change of pace. Thanks.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Greg I too would like that recipe.