Food Logs

misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,530 Member
How many of us consistently log our food? How many use the SFT method? How many of us simply go by "feel."

Inquiring minds want to know.

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,530 Member
    I tend toward the SFT technique. However, I have always tried to log my food, even if I don't count the points. It gives me a better idea of what I am eating, nutrition-wise, and keeps me mindful.

Unfortunately, when I took my break and gained 3000 pounds, I stopped tracking. And, my ability to track has been very inconsistent, at best. Yes, I am losing weight; but, that is because of portion control and SFT. I feel a need to have that nutritional awareness.

So, I am working on it.

YMMV.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    I use WW App to track what I eat. It tracks my SP, Weeklies and Fit Points.

I'm pretty good at tracking on my phone. I even track zero point fruits and vegetables.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I log my food daily. I feel like it helps to keep me aware of my choices, because no matter what it's getting written down.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    Pretty comfy in the yellow zone right now. Just getting by on habit.
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    I use MFP daily. I NEVER miss tracking for any reason. If I don't know or can't find the values, I use the values of very similar meals or foods. And I always add extra calories if I'm in doubt. It is just too easy to get off track and have to fight my way back.....
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    @TimDumez has my proxy on this one!

I know exactly what would happen if I ever tried to skipping logging and instead rely on my intuition. It isn't pretty.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,491 Member
    I track every day on WW.
    Am starting on MFP just because. Still find it a bit confusing, but getting better.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    I only track when I want to lose weight :p
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,272 Member
    I'm back to tracking/weighing/measuring for now. I prefer SFT-style eating and don't need to track 100% of the time once I get into the SFT groove, but I'm nowhere near there yet. I currently want to eat a vat of oatmeal, not a sensible portion.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    I track when I feel like I need to lose a few pounds and/or when I recognize that I'm just making bad eating choices.

Often, at this point, tracking is more like a 'booster' shot. I don't need the full program of tracking, just enough to right my errant behaviors. Sometimes that's a day, sometimes a week. It's been a really long time since I needed to do more than a week of tracking.

Interestingly, when I do track, I can get pretty far into the nitty-gritty. But, alas, my attention span just isn't that good, so I can't sustain the action nearly as long as I could in the past.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,675 Member
    I track, measure etc. When I do the scale has less surprises
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,167 Member
    Food Log by meal daily.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited March 2017
    I log my food with the WW app. 98%+ of the time. Tracking has made a pretty honest man out of me. I consider it to be one of the keys to my results thus far.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    I still track and log food...as well as weigh and measure most foods. I am at goal, but it became such a habit that I kept doing it. I found a side benefit to weighing & measuring it helps me figure out how much to buy of foods we eat repeatedly, like yogurt for instance, I look at the size/weight of the container and then calculate how much we normally consume compared to expiration date and then I can stock up or maximize on a sale item.

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    I'm tracking daily now. I do best when I face the reality of my choices quickly, rather than waiting for the scale.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    I tracked religously while losing and one year beyond goal. I eat mostly SFT and have foods and amounts memorized after 8 yr at goal.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,146 Member
    I have tracked to see how the smart points program compares. With minor addition of weekly points and activity points works fine with what I ea.t
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,275 Member
    i use the ww app, but i only track about 50% of the time, and it is showing in my lack of loss.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited March 2017
    I track daily with MFP and primarily follow SFT
    The biggest change is tracking calories instead of points