Squatting heavy with plantar fasciitis?

DopeItUp
DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
This isn't for me but for a friend who squats in the mid 500s. He recently developed plantar fasciitis with lots of heel pain to go with it. He's not the kind of person to back off or go light ever. Any recommendations on particular shoes, gear or anything he can use to minimize pain? At the very least, anything he can do to help things along quickly. I'm guessing the answer is no but I figured there might be some particularly brutal people here.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    This isn't for me but for a friend who squats in the mid 500s. He recently developed plantar fasciitis with lots of heel pain to go with it. He's not the kind of person to back off or go light ever. Any recommendations on particular shoes, gear or anything he can use to minimize pain? At the very least, anything he can do to help things along quickly. I'm guessing the answer is no but I figured there might be some particularly brutal people here.

Not sure if this is directly helpful or not, but Dean Somerset is a pretty solid resource on this. You could reach out to him to see.

Here's a write up of his on the topic:

http://lindsaysomerset.com/?p=1185
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I required orthotics in all my shoes just so my body weight wasn't a stress by stretching the tendon.

And that still took a year to heal after many years with the injury. Well, probably because I kept jogging.
    Compared to prior years workouts, "take it easy" was actually followed.