OMAD eating window - Need help figuring it out

rs2332
rs2332 Posts: 116 Member
Hi everyone,

I have recently started OMAD and need help figuring out my eating window. Currently i wake up around 630 am and can make it up to 3-4 pm (depending upon the day) with just coffee and water. For the past few days i have been having an apple around 5 pm and doing OMAD with dinner around 730 - 8 pm. I gets challenging around 3pm so how should i handle this? I still want to eat my omad meal for dinner. I used to do the 16/8 where i will have the oates+whey receipe listed below around 3 and dinner at 8 but i cant do this with OMAD.

Oates
whey
PB fit
blueberries
raw cacao
1tbsp honey
Total 450 calories.

Replies

• leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    I've seen benefits adhering to a four hour eating window, but I usually try to contain it to two hours. But if I go over, I don't beat myself up about it.
  • rs2332
    leveejohn wrote: »
    I've seen benefits adhering to a four hour eating window, but I usually try to contain it to two hours. But if I go over, I don't beat myself up about it.

Does that mean you snack and then have your big meal? I am having an apple around 5pm and eat dinner around 8
  • leveejohn
    I usually have my big meal when I get home from work, and then maybe have something extra like fruit and yogurt later if I still want something. But I think it's just a personal preference thing; not sure that doing it one way or the other makes much of a difference. The magic happens when you stop calorie intake for 20-22 hrs a day, and let your blood sugar stabilize by burning fat stores. Whatever allows you to do that most comfortably might look a bit different from individual to individual. There are a few general rules, but after that it's just not that exact of a formula. Have you watched Joe's videos? OMAD: The Basics
  • leveejohn
    If you have tough hunger pangs during the daily fast, drink lots of beverages. Hot or cold, your preference, just make sure they don't contain calories. If that doesn't help, several here have suggested taking a teaspoon of coconut oil. Those are calories to be sure, but no sugars, and it doesn't spike blood insulin much. There are days that tsp of coconut oil helped me a lot! Mostly on the weekend when I'm not as busy as a work day.
  • leveejohn
    But mostly just try to ride it out. Hunger pangs, when and if they come, are usually short lived.
  • rs2332
    leveejohn wrote: »
    But mostly just try to ride it out. Hunger pangs, when and if they come, are usually short lived.

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense now. I'll watch that video too. I'm excited about this!!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    1/2 tsp coconut oil per hour when you get really hungry. 1 tsp is about 116 cals so not much plus it will not spike your insulin. I will do this on days where I'm struggling and it has worked every time without causing me to be hungry like other food would.
  • rs2332
    blambo61 wrote: »
    1/2 tsp coconut oil per hour when you get really hungry. 1 tsp is about 116 cals so not much plus it will not spike your insulin. I will do this on days where I'm struggling and it has worked every time without causing me to be hungry like other food would.

Like just raw or do you heat it up? Sorry i am very new to adding coconut oil to my diet. I have been adding it to my coffee around 1 pm :smile:
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    You can eat your coconut oil melted in drinks or by the spoonful or you can cook with it :)
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Welcome @rs2332! Really pushing water/tea/coffee when hunger hit hard helped me, but so did sipping on some bone broth. It's best homemade (except if I'm the one making it) but you can also buy it ready to drink. I never tried the coconut oil thing but only because I despise the strong taste of mine.

Speaking of coconut oil...Does anyone know of a brand/type that is tasteless/odorless, but still just as beneficial?
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    @Mom2annie...I get the Island Fresh Superior Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce from Amazon.com and Its the best brand I've found so far...I don't know if there is one that is tasteless or odorless but I like the taste of this one :)
  • leveejohn
    edited March 2017
    Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, and I like the taste of coconut, so I just dig out a spoonful and eat it. The stuff we have is by Spectrum. If you don't like the taste of coconut, maybe medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil? It's a refined coconut oil that people use for bulletproof coffee, for example.

For that matter, bulletproof coffee wouldn't be a bad idea to curb hunger pangs. Just look at a few youtube videos and pick one that appeals. I wouldn't make it a regular facet of my daily fast though, think of it as one of those "break glass in emergency" sort of things.
  • blambo61
    Water is my #1 go to thing, chewing gum next (sugarless), and if bad, I will eat coconut oil. If really bad, I will sometimes say the heck with it and eat although, I don't think that has happened since I discovered coconut oil.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    You can also try MCT Oil
  • blambo61
    You can also try MCT Oil

Refined coconut oil from what I understand.