Sugar addicted?

Options
2»

Replies

• allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I struggled to give up sugar, but have conquered the beast, thank goodness for my health's sake. My uncle quit drinking alcohol but greatly increased his intake of dr. peppers and candy after that. He has already had a major heart attack and is only 50 y.o. His Dr. has talked to him about sugar and I talked to him about how addictive it is and that it is not good for his health. He is now trying to give up sugar but has said that it has been harder for him than giving up alcohol.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I struggled to give up sugar, but have conquered the beast, thank goodness for my health's sake. My uncle quit drinking alcohol but greatly increased his intake of dr. peppers and candy after that. He has already had a major heart attack and is only 50 y.o. His Dr. has talked to him about sugar and I talked to him about how addictive it is and that it is not good for his health. He is now trying to give up sugar but has said that it has been harder for him than giving up alcohol.

It's very hard to give up sugar.. It was and still is my drug of choice.

My bf got acute pancreatitis as a result of alcohol consumption, and they told him he had to stop eating fat, he said it was harder to give up pizza than alcohol. He quickly went back to his high fat high carb eating habits, but has maintained his sobriety.

It's not easy to quit any addiction, that's for sure. But high five to us rocking it!! And high five to those of us who fall down and get back up!! It'll stick at some point!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Trust me, sugar withdrawal is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING like heroin withdrawal. It's not even close. Just stop.

It's more like crack withdrawal, which is more psychological and sneaky.

Good to know. I wasn't aware that headaches, body aches, sweating and trembling were just sneaky psychological symptoms. Thanks for validating my personal experience.

Those can also be symptoms of electrolyte imbalance or falling blood glucose levels.

When carbs are lowered, insulin goes down, and insulin is what causes water and electrolyte retention. When most start low carb they lose a few pounds of water and lots of sodium causing feelings of fatigue, brain fog, headaches, muscle aches, muscle spasms, nausea, and BM issues. If you proactively take 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day as you reduce carbs, those symptoms can be avoided, or at least stopped within hours. One teaspoon of tablesalt is 2300 mg sodium.

Rapidly falling blood glucose can cause hypoglycemic symptoms of cold sweats, tremors, brain fog and mild confusion, and falling blood pressure. Once your body adapts to low carb, that does not often happen anymore. If you are a T2D on medication, it is usually a sign that insulin and metformin may need to be lowered.

Those symptoms all feel really bad, but it isn't really all due to a sugar withdrawal, although I do believe some foods can cause withdarawl like symptoms when you stop them.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Trust me, sugar withdrawal is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING like heroin withdrawal. It's not even close. Just stop.

Good to know. I wasn't aware that headaches, body aches, sweating and trembling were just sneaky psychological symptoms. Thanks for validating my personal experience.

Those can also be symptoms of electrolyte imbalance or falling blood glucose levels.

When carbs are lowered, insulin goes down, and insulin is what causes water and electrolyte retention. When most start low carb they lose a few pounds of water and lots of sodium causing feelings of fatigue, brain fog, headaches, muscle aches, muscle spasms, nausea, and BM issues. If you proactively take 3000-5000+ mg of sodium per day as you reduce carbs, those symptoms can be avoided, or at least stopped within hours. One teaspoon of tablesalt is 2300 mg sodium.

Rapidly falling blood glucose can cause hypoglycemic symptoms of cold sweats, tremors, brain fog and mild confusion, and falling blood pressure. Once your body adapts to low carb, that does not often happen anymore. If you are a T2D on medication, it is usually a sign that insulin and metformin may need to be lowered.

Those symptoms all feel really bad, but it isn't really all due to a sugar withdrawal, although I do believe some foods can cause withdarawl like symptoms when you stop them.

I have lived a low carb lifestyle for most of the last decade. I know the symptoms don't last once you get your blood sugar regulated. The fact that the PHYSICAL symptoms are due to blood sugar dropping because sugar intake has stopped is the very definition of physical dependence (aka addiction).
  • llbreuer2006
    edited March 2017
    Options

You're welcome. It's nothing like heroin withdrawal. Thanks for minimizing my experience, and thousands of others.

I was not in any way trying to minimize your experience, but that's exactly what you did to me by attacking my comment. I have no idea what heroin withdrawal feels like. I only know that my physical symptoms were similar in definition, not necessarily intensity to those I've seen others describe with heroin withdrawal. There are scientific studies that back that up. I'm in no way saying that they are exactly the same. I'm sure that heroin withdrawal is much more intense. My point was that there were actually physical withdrawal symptoms just like there are for heroin. I didn't say it was the same, just that there are similarities. I would never want to minimize anyone's personal experience. It would be nice if you could do the same. Just because your experience isn't the same as mine doesn't mean mine should be minimized. You are doing exactly what you say you don't want others to do to you. I was not trying to insult you or anyone else who has battled addiction. I am amazed by those who have battled drug addiction and am very thankful that I have never had to. I hope this is coming across the way it's intended. I know that sometimes the message gets lost in translation when typed.
  • llbreuer2006
    Options

https://authoritynutrition.com/10-similarities-between-junk-foods-and-drugs/

You're welcome. It's nothing like heroin withdrawal. Thanks for minimizing my experience, and thousands of others.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Well, Metformin is an insulin sensitizer; it doesn't cause hypoglycemia, as do insulin and other oral meds (like Glipizide , among others) if the dose is not reduced. Generally, the recommendation is to work up to and maintain a full dose. But it's true that even the XR version will lower your blood sugar, though not terribly rapidly as far as I know.

(Of course, if you have GI "issues" from Metformin :s, that's a great reason to reduce if you can!)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you guys for being so gracious to one another. :heart: :
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

I was not in any way trying to minimize your experience, but that's exactly what you did to me by attacking my comment. I have no idea what heroin withdrawal feels like. I only know that my physical symptoms were similar in definition, not necessarily intensity to those I've seen others describe with heroin withdrawal. There are scientific studies that back that up. I'm in no way saying that they are exactly the same. I'm sure that heroin withdrawal is much more intense. My point was that there were actually physical withdrawal symptoms just like there are for heroin. I didn't say it was the same, just that there are similarities. I would never want to minimize anyone's personal experience. It would be nice if you could do the same. Just because your experience isn't the same as mine doesn't mean mine should be minimized. You are doing exactly what you say you don't want others to do to you. I was not trying to insult you or anyone else who has battled addiction. I am amazed by those who have battled drug addiction and am very thankful that I have never had to. I hope this is coming across the way it's intended. I know that sometimes the message gets lost in translation when typed.

I understand, and you're right, I shouldn't have minimized your experience. I'm sorry about that. I'm super sensitive certain days of the month. Peace?

Thank you. Of course! We're all in this struggle together. I should have just clarified my intended message in the first place instead of reacting with sarcasm. Your comment caught me off guard and I reacted instead of thinking about the fact that the written word has a huge potential for misunderstanding . For that, I apologize.

No apology necessary. I was just being a you-know-what. ;)
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Thank you guys for being so gracious to one another. :heart: :

<3
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

I understand, and you're right, I shouldn't have minimized your experience. I'm sorry about that. I'm super sensitive certain days of the month. Peace?

Thank you. Of course! We're all in this struggle together. I should have just clarified my intended message in the first place instead of reacting with sarcasm. Your comment caught me off guard and I reacted instead of thinking about the fact that the written word has a huge potential for misunderstanding . For that, I apologize.

Hmmm. I must be thick.... ok, I give up. ??
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hmmm. I must be thick.... ok, I give up. ??

Pretty cute, Ralf. How about you come up with a fitting term? I was going with *kitten*. But what do you got? :p
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rhymes with a female Broomrider who plays Quidditch, Ralf! :lol:
    :wink:
    Are you a Beater or the Seeker, Lori?
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

I'm gonna go with the obvious....Beater. :D
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

I'm gonna go with the obvious....Beater. :D

Although...either role applies...
  • llbreuer2006
    edited March 2017
    Options

We all have our moments. I know I definitely do...just ask my hubby! I'm glad we sorted things out!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options

We all have our moments. I know I definitely do...just ask my hubby! I'm glad we sorted things out!

Me too. Hope you're having a great weekend! :)