What are keto friendly non-perishable foods?

mike5884
mike5884 Posts: 11 Member
Hello everyone,

Im in the military and will be going to the field for 3wks. I will only have MREs available to eat, which are not keto friendly. Does anyone have any ideas on keto friendly non-perishable foods. I've bought nuts, spam, and tuna(in oil), im planing on taking some coconut oil and ghee.

Besides those foods, i am at a lost...does anyone have any good suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    All canned fish would be a good idea and maybe higher fat ratios/more satiating than tuna. Jerky, dry pepperoni, hemp hearts, moon cheese, parmesan whisps, chia, flax, sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    coconut oil, in packets. butter packets. mayo packets. pork rinds. sardines. beef sticks/jerky. the beef/cheddar sticks. chicken in a can. tuna salad packs in a pouch....use those with the mayo packets. half and half creamer things from like mcdonalds.... nut butters - either in packets or a jar. epic bars (like jerky/beef bars)... dehydrated berries. coconut cream in the carton...smallest size possible as only good for 3 days (Aroy-D brand is the one I like). Collagen powder, cocoa powder, and MCT oil to mix with coffee. Coconut flakes - with dark chocolate and nuts - homemade trail mix... pickles in small jars (electrolytes AND pickles!)...we keep ours at room temp at home for weeks...so should be okay if you go through them quickly. Quest bars for emergencies. Olives, too. Avocados - obviously limited quantity there... low carb protein powder and//or electrolyte powder? Bacon, cooked through, should be able to stay at room temp for a while and be safe - that's how' our ancestors stored it - in extra salt, rinsed off to eat. Pemmican? Dunno if you can buy that. Any fat bombs/protein bars made with coconut oil...should stay solid at room temp or in a baggie and squeeze/eat. As for nuts, macadamias, pecans, and walnuts, all unsalted to keep down overeating...unless salt is needed.

As long as you have a good bit of fat on you (I think for men, anything over 12-15%), you should be able to fast through a good bit...if you're familiar with fasting. I'll add more later if I remember others.
  • mike5884
    mike5884 Posts: 11 Member
    Thank you both for your assistance! I am going to the field this Monday.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @mike5884 - Good luck. Remember that you can fast, and that any carbs can be burn off with activity within 30 minutes or so, intense exercise if necessary. And remember that falling back some is just another way to learn what works for you. I hope you do amazingly well on your field excursion!
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Great list @KnitOrMiss !!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    @pwrfl1 - Thanks. Compiled from workout out of doors when first keto (3 months in, had to have stable stuff...4 days running), and different posts of ideas for traveling, etc. :)