Atkins 40

Options
Kaliopix333
Kaliopix333 Posts: 9 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
Hello everyone! I'm 24 years old (5'6 and 166 lbs) I have been on my fitness journey for approx. 2.5-3 years (slow but steady)... I reached my lowest weight in August 2015 but I've gained 16 back since then... The struggle has been REAL to re-lose the weight... I just started Atkins 40 Monday to see if that switch could be what my body needs! I have never tried anything HFLC before so I am excited to see what it can do for my body! Anyone else new to challenge? I'd love to see some diaries to get a better idea of what others are eating and find some extra support! I also love working out so I'm not sure how this new diet will affect my workouts and energy? Any tips? Thanks! :)

Replies

• cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    So true about the sodium. I was feeling absolutely fine, in fact better than fine, when I first started and only realized I was dehydrated after a blood test. And dehydration makes my blood pressure go up. Not scary high but high for me at 144 over 85. It can sneak up on you without you even knowing it.
  • Kaliopix333
    Options
    You need to replace the sodium you lose when eating low carb every day.
    Your body will be making less insulin which causes sodium retention in the kidneys. Without it, you don't hold onto sodium like before. In addition to fluid loss from reduced glycogen and removing extra ketones in urine, you must replace sodium. This is the main cause of reduced energy. Dr Phinney advises getting 1000mg sodium half an hour before a workout. And to maintain between 3000-5000mg a day minimum sodium intake. Those minimums don't take into account extra needs for workouts or sweating or extra fluid intake.

I just want to make sure I follow... So I would need to increase my sodium intake? Have you found the best way to do that? Would adding salt for example to your food be a good way?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's a whole discussion. This topic is talked about on a daily basis here because no one knows about these increases needs.
    This is the cause of what people refer to as "keto flu". It's nothing more than sodium deficiency

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10505314/how-do-you-up-your-sodium#latest
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you do well on Atkins 40, you might want to tighten it up by switching to the standard Atkins 20.

Regardless, I'd recommend the comprehensive starter guide by Phinney & Volek, New Atkins for a New You. Their Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is similar but oriented toward research rather than daily routine.

If you haven't stumbled across the LCD Launch Pad, it's a great resource.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad
  • Kaliopix333
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you do well on Atkins 40, you might want to tighten it up by switching to the standard Atkins 20.

Regardless, I'd recommend the comprehensive starter guide by Phinney & Volek, New Atkins for a New You. Their Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living is similar but oriented toward research rather than daily routine.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

This is great, thank you so much!
  • RalfLott
    Options

This is great, thank you so much!

That should pretty much shoot your weekend. But it will be time well spent. ;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I am older than you but I started out with the Atkins 20 foodie plan and worked up to the 40 foodie plan. RalfLott has referred you to the tools you need. I lost on both plans, not a lot but I lost. I am now working my way slowly up the Atkins ladder, trying to find the "zone" for my carbs. Too few, I get constipated, too many, I start going back up. I still have 14 lbs. to go. I am not accepting more friends, but my diary is open to the public. Check on Aug/Sept/Oct 2016 to see how I progressed from 20 to 40 plan.

To me it is great to not be hangry all the time. I also have done some body recomp with a little strength training (NOT heavy lifting at all), yoga and walking. I know this because I am sitting in jeans I wore 10 yrs. ago, and weighed 10 more pounds. So slow loss but it is fat loss, I'll take it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've given myself the flexibility to eat more carbs by setting my "goal/target" higher. I don't often eat more carbs but is sure is nice to have the option to have a few slices of fresh cucumbers/tomatoes or a bit of carrots and cabbage with my pot roast if/when I want. And. Not. Feel. Guilty. Life's too short to feel guilt or failure over a piece of cucumber.

I say, why limit yourself to 20 if 40 works. JMO.
  • Kaliopix333
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've given myself the flexibility to eat more carbs by setting my "goal/target" higher. I don't often eat more carbs but is sure is nice to have the option to have a few slices of fresh cucumbers/tomatoes or a bit of carrots and cabbage with my pot roast if/when I want. And. Not. Feel. Guilty. Life's too short to feel guilt or failure over a piece of cucumber.

Agreed! That's why I decided to start with 40! I love my veggies and I'm able to snack on them throughout the day! I think it's more sustainable for me personally in the long run!
  • RalfLott
    Options

A big If (at least for diabetics... ;))
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic. Perhaps I could have clarified with the OP 1st if she is diabetic before suggesting something as drastic as eating 40 grams of carbs per day. Shame on me.

• RalfLott
    Options
    I'm not diabetic. Perhaps I could have clarified with the OP 1st if she is diabetic before suggesting something as drastic as eating 40 grams of carbs per day. Shame on me.

What's good for the gander may cook the goose.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes I lament to loss of many of the fruits I used to consume on the daily since I became a diabetic but i love my toes, legs, and mobility too much to compromise it for fruit LOL Fruit for THIS diabetic affects my blood sugar as directly as eating candy :(
  • RalfLott
    Options

Carb addiction would another reason not to jack your carbs just cuz.
  • LillysMomma09
    LillysMomma09 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to LC as well! I just started last Thursday and I'm already down 4.8 as of this morning. I'm sure most of that is water weight.. but I'll take it!!!
    I find it pretty easy to do. For my sugar cravings I've been having an Atkins snack bar and that really helps. Add me, I have an open diary. :smile:
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss and welcome to our little community!