Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X 7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Walk every day! Still above freezing! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 mile walks.
  • Stella014
    Stella014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    SL yesterday and today. Yesterday was not a good day, felt very tired (cleaning all day Saturday and late n'aimer night). Couldn't make it through any of the sets and could only think about crawling in a corner and sleep.
    So went back today after loading up on brown rice and chicken and it all went much better:

Squat: 5 37.5kg - up to 40kg next time
    Bench: 5 x 27.5kg - first time at this weight and felt good
    Rows: 54454 x 32.5kg - still heavy not sure my form is ok, will have to watch some more videos.

Also strange new guy at the gym. Think he's a pensioner and has lots of time in his hands and is much too social to my liking. He was waiting for the squat rack so sat behind me during my entire workout just waiting and staring (and I'm sure he didn't get my best view
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    tonights workout
    squats 55532@118lbs. the first 3 sets were fine but by set 4 i started feeling my lower back doing all the work and was scared of hurting it more.im thinking of moving to 3x5 instead of deloading.does 118lbs seem too low to move to 3x5?

bench 5x5@67lbs.finally finished all sets.

rows 5x5@73lbs.

I am no expert, but I think that if you can do less at a higher weight... there's nothing wrong with that. What's the overall goal?

Has anyone here done a bulk cycle while using SL 5x5? (Rest day for me - busy with kids).
  • Stella014
    Stella014 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Apparently if you post a message from you phone and include a smiley everything that follows the smiley is not posted. 2nd time this happened.
    Anyway I was not happy with him just sitting and staring there.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,820 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bleh.
    I'm cutting so I didn't feel quite as strong. Cut back to 70 lbs on deadlift. (2 x 5). I did try it at 100 lb but did 1 x 4 instead of 1 x 5.

I could do 70 lbs on barbell row though (5 x 5).
    And - my left hip/left lower back hurt! It had started sometime after my Sunday run - I felt great after the run but after I sat for awhile and stood up, I felt some pain, but it went away.
    Well, until I was straightening up after the deadlifts. BAH!

OHP felt a bit weak - still at 30 lb. also did 5 x 5 @ 12.5 lb dumbbells

Squats - up to 5 x 65 lb and could have done more, with my form much better. Took off my shoes and it was a big help! But was worried about the hip so didn't go higher.

I'm not sure if this problem is from the hip (gluteus medius) or lower left back. Or maybe piriformis or SI joint? Will have the sports massage peeps figure it out. Pain is just behind my hipbone (trochanter) and goes down and back from there. Also up into the lower left quadrant of my back.

And I saw a guy deadlifting 405 lb. I know there are folks on these boards who do more, but you don't tend to see those folks at my gym.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Keep it up, everyone! Happy spring :)

I'm back at school (aka where my gym and doctors are) after spring break spent resting with family. My plan is to do bench and OHP in the gym Wednesday. They are also doing free body fat testing Wed and I'm curious so I will go. Second chiro appointment is Friday, hopefully they give me the go-ahead to try to get back into leg workouts.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @jen_092 I would def get body testing. It costs $60 at my gym.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Skinny bar flew up even with the heavier weight--search me why it matters so much.

stronger grip? i go the opposite way: i could probably match fingertips with all the men in t-space, and overmatch about half of them. i have huge hands for a person my size, and i'm useless with mr t's special skinny bar that a lot of his women lifters do better with. i just can't get my hands solidly closed around it.

i fixed my bike puncture yesterday and it was just a puncture instead of a rotted tube or a massive npatchable blowout, so that was good. on the other hand, after i put the tire back on, there was still a little part of the bead sitting up on the rim (instead of being all the way down inside it). so that was bad. like a little hump or bubble in the tire's circumference. i rode up to the gas station yesterday and inflated it properly, and i was hoping that would settle it all the way in with the added pressure, but nope. flumpawhumpbump all the way in to work. on top of that, i may have borked up the alignment of my front wheel a bit, so the ride in was under mild braking drag the whole time :tongue:

still, i got to work and got back up the hill in not that far off my regular time. went and did 5x10@105 deadlifts once i got to the top of the hill. i was feeling pretty fat and sassy with myself and my life before that, but 50 deadlifts has a way of taking some of the bounce out of you.

• jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    tonights workout
    squats 55532@118lbs. the first 3 sets were fine but by set 4 i started feeling my lower back doing all the work and was scared of hurting it more.im thinking of moving to 3x5 instead of deloading.does 118lbs seem too low to move to 3x5?

bench 5x5@67lbs.finally finished all sets.

rows 5x5@73lbs.

I am no expert, but I think that if you can do less at a higher weight... there's nothing wrong with that. What's the overall goal?

Has anyone here done a bulk cycle while using SL 5x5? (Rest day for me - busy with kids).

its happened the last few sessions since moving up from 100 lbs, the first 3 sets go ok then my legs get tired and I'm leaning forward too much and my back starts doing the work. My overall goal is to get stronger and lose some body fat and then try to build more muscle.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-20X 10 X 35

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    50°F yesterday and only half of that this morning! I am still walking! Getting ready for the first of my 2- 2 mile walks. I just have to dress warmer!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,820 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @canadianlbs I'm sure you're mentally fat and sassy, knowing you worked hard and accomplished much. Great job!

@jen_092 is that hydrostatic or DEXA?

Good jobs in general!

Owww! My back is killing me (moved up in weight on barbell rows and rep number on lat pulldowns. Plus I hurt my left hip/lower back AGAIN! all I ask is to get stronger, is that too much to ask??
    At least the back soreness is DOMS. that's the good news.
    I'll ask my sports massage therapist if I should come in while the area is still sore or if I should wait. Perhaps if he works around it, something connected to the area can be helped and that in turn will help.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,133 Member
    Options
    @lkpducky congrats on moving up your rows and pull downs! Sorry to hear about your back and hip though! I hope you find out what is going on. The sports therapist should be able to let you know what is going on. Probably a good idea to go in.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Bleh.
    I'm cutting so I didn't feel quite as strong. Cut back to 70 lbs on deadlift. (2 x 5). I did try it at 100 lb but did 1 x 4 instead of 1 x 5.

I could do 70 lbs on barbell row though (5 x 5).
    And - my left hip/left lower back hurt! It had started sometime after my Sunday run - I felt great after the run but after I sat for awhile and stood up, I felt some pain, but it went away.
    Well, until I was straightening up after the deadlifts. BAH!

OHP felt a bit weak - still at 30 lb. also did 5 x 5 @ 12.5 lb dumbbells

Squats - up to 5 x 65 lb and could have done more, with my form much better. Took off my shoes and it was a big help! But was worried about the hip so didn't go higher.

I'm not sure if this problem is from the hip (gluteus medius) or lower left back. Or maybe piriformis or SI joint? Will have the sports massage peeps figure it out. Pain is just behind my hipbone (trochanter) and goes down and back from there. Also up into the lower left quadrant of my back.

And I saw a guy deadlifting 405 lb. I know there are folks on these boards who do more, but you don't tend to see those folks at my gym.

My recent hip stuff has felt better after I get into all the sore bits in my glutes with a lacrosse or floor hockey ball.

Tonight is gym night! Yay! Still on modified squats, and will probably pull the deadlift back to 65 lbs. I see the physiotherapist again tomorrow... so we'll see how I feel tonight after the workout, and what she says tomorrow.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Skinny bar flew up even with the heavier weight--search me why it matters so much.

stronger grip? i go the opposite way: i could probably match fingertips with all the men in t-space, and overmatch about half of them. i have huge hands for a person my size, and i'm useless with mr t's special skinny bar that a lot of his women lifters do better with. i just can't get my hands solidly closed around it.

I'm wondering how much it relates to grip strength--I'm only 5'4 and have pretty small hands, so the skinny bar definitely fits into my hands better--and how much may be that the bar seems to have a different balance? I'm not sure if it's any longer than the standard ones, but the balance of the weight feels different, which may also affect how it feels going up. If I see my trainer this week I'll ask him about it.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    @lkpducky I'm not even sure if it's either of those good ones- I wouldn't be surprised if they were just doing measurements lol. I really hope it's a real test. I'll let everyone know!