M(ar)uch Lifting is good for you!

Options

Replies

• SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have experienced the sore muscles the day or two after a workout many times but this was just completely different. That hurts when moving and you can tell it's the muscles that are sore. This was all over weird achy feelings that were there when staying completely still and hurt less when I got up and moved around. I did end up taking some ibuprofen and that helped it dramatically and now that pain is gone thank goodness!

Eating more protein is definitely something I need to work on, I have such a hard time with that. I am a carb addict and that's mostly what I eat. I think I got maybe 30g of carbs yesterday and that was almost all from my snack after my workout. Like I said, I'm working on it!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @SarahMorganP DOMS is a *kitten* but it'll get better. The second day after the workout is the worst, then the third day after should feel much better. Try not to let yourself sit around too much because that will make you stiffen up. Walk, yoga, stretch, etc will help a lot. Motin is your friend if you're super inflamed. And repeating some of the movements with body weight only, as @canadianlbs suggested, can he helpful. Where you are sore can also be a good way to gauge your form. If you did deadlifts and the only thing sore was your quads, you'd know something was off and could correct for it next time. I hope it feels better soon!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Guys, I have DOMS in my chest from my modified pushups! Lol I think I'll be going back to the bar for bench next time!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 3
    Russian kettle bell swing-13X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Nicer weather today! Just got back from the first of my 2 mile walks today! 2-2 mile walks!

Not really trying to increase the amount of weight on my lifts until I am done eating at a deficit. I did however increase the weight of my kettle bell. Supposedly it should tighten my muscles and increase strength. We'll see!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,951 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cable pulldowns = lat pulldowns?
    I like those, although wide grip ones were tweaking my right shoulder just a bit. I think I should be fine to do those. You mentioned pullups - I worked up to pullups with close-grip lat pulldowns while standing up. When I got within 5 pounds of my body weight, I managed to do my first pullup.

Day off lifting: ran 5.25 miles. Slow but it felt good. I like running a lot (did so on-again-off again since age 19, ran a bunch of marathons, my last was in 2007) and am considering building up to a half marathon. I do miss running that mileage.
    I am going to have to figure out how to do both lifting and higher mileage running such that my legs aren't dead all the time or injured. Maybe back off to lifting twice a week, running 3-4 times a week with other cross training?
    Although I think the deadlifts are stopping me from getting hamstring and hip injuries.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @lkpducky I've been juggling running and SL for the past few weeks by doing MWF StrongLifts and TThuS running. It doesn't give you much time to recover for either the runs or the lifts. So I'm still figuring out which days to take it easy and which to step up either one. Once a week, I will probably start lifting less weights for endurance rather than gains to give my body a break. I'm also considering lifting 2x a week after a few more weeks.

I was too sore from my lifts yesterday to do a long run today. Walking 3mi in the park instead. Perfect sunny day for this!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Cable pulldowns = lat pulldowns?

heh. yeah; word fail from me.

them things. i like 'm.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Thank you! I have experienced the sore muscles the day or two after a workout many times but this was just completely different.

:) there's a reason why i kind of prefer the term 'muscle fever' over 'doms'. on the other hand, you just reminded me that calling ordinary doms muscle fever is like calling a sniffle the flu. but i like amy's point about how the soreness gives you a useful next-day roadmap if you're unsure of your form.

the protein thing is a bit of a rat race for me too. one of the nicest things about lifting for me has been that it makes me hungry. i don't think my eating habits were bad exactly, in the sense that i mostly ate healthy-enough kinds of things. but i've always had this recreational sort of attitude about food, like it was something you can do if you want to, but you don't have to if you don't want. lots of eh-i'll-just-eat-[whatever]er rather than dealing with meals. but three years of lifting has turned me into a person who can't function without eating actual meals like a normal grownup.
  • SarahMorganP
    Options
    Week 2 day 3 for me today. This is the first time I have ever done my lifting on the morning, normally I do it around 6pm. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Squat 45 3x5, 55 3x5, 70 5x5
    Overhead press 45 5x5 (no idea when I will be able to increase this one. Think I might need to invest in fractional weights).
    Deadlift 115 1x5
    Stretching

I'm sure we will do some walking later, it's supposed to get in the upper 40s and that will feel hot, so I'm excited!

I have had a horrible headache for 2 months now. With it turning into a migraine 5 times. The only relief I get is while sleeping (if I'm not up all night in horrible pain like Fri night where I got 2 hours of sleep) otherwise I'm in pain from wake up to bedtime. It's starting to really wear on me mentally and makes it very hard to push through workouts.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    @SarahMorganP i'm sorry that you have been covering with a headache for such a long time. I have also suffered from headaches most of my life. I get Botox shots and that works for me.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I have had a horrible headache for 2 months now. With it turning into a migraine 5 times. The only relief I get is while sleeping (if I'm not up all night in horrible pain like Fri night where I got 2 hours of sleep) otherwise I'm in pain from wake up to bedtime. It's starting to really wear on me mentally and makes it very hard to push through workouts.

wow, under those circumstances i think i'd just scale down the workouts to 'maintenance' style and treat it as being you-caught-a-bug sick. if there's any correlation with when you started lifting though, try googling for 'trigger points'. they're twilight-zone weird little bundles of extra-tight fibre that can form in muscles, and it's flat bizarre the way they can make pain show up in areas nowhere near them.

there are several websites out there (ask me how i know :tongue) that provide a nice body map where you click on the part of yourself that's hurting and then narrow in until you get a list of which tp's might be involved in the pain, and then visuals showing where to find them and work on them in which muscles.

worth a shot. i hope it improves for you soon.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-26X 10 X 35

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Finally a beautiful day today! It's supposed to get up to 50° today! Getting ready for my first of two-2 mile walks for today. I might go for three!
  • SarahMorganP
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think it *might* have something to do with my brain surgery. I have had headaches chronically my entire life but always for a few days a week and not the entire day. So this is way way worse.

I had my brain tumor removed (not the cause of my headaches) almost 1.5 years ago now. They did the surgery through my nose and ever since my nose is stuffy in the middle of the night and runs all the time when awake. I just read a story about a woman who had the same procedure and had horrible headaches for years after. Finally they figured out that the surgery caused a bone spur. Once they removed that her headaches stopped. I'm going to see about getting into an ENT.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @SarahMorganP Sorry to hear about your headaches. Have you also followed up with a neurologist in addition to an ENT?

SL Day off. Feeling much better this morning so did a 9mi run to the beach and back! The first 6 mi were easy peasy, and the last 3 not so much. Will see what I can do about getting a watch to monitor my pace.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I think it *might* have something to do with my brain surgery. I have had headaches chronically my entire life but always for a few days a week and not the entire day. So this is way way worse.

I had my brain tumor removed (not the cause of my headaches) almost 1.5 years ago now. They did the surgery through my nose and ever since my nose is stuffy in the middle of the night and runs all the time when awake. I just read a story about a woman who had the same procedure and had horrible headaches for years after. Finally they figured out that the surgery caused a bone spur. Once they removed that her headaches stopped. I'm going to see about getting into an ENT.

Yikes! I'm glad you aim to see an ENT. I hope the doc helps you get to the bottom of this!

@chichidachimp sounds like my kind of weekend morning!

@NKoz82 that is a lot, lifting AND starting a running program AND cutting. And I can't recommend the fractionals enough! They're getting me through some stalls.

This morning: walked a couple of miles outside. The ducks were spending more time flying than in the pond, and one of them landed on a roof and sat there quacking.

Then the gym. 5 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes treadmill alternating inclines and fast walking, 16 minutes arm crank.