Patience and consistency (this time around)

Options
megrosborne
megrosborne Posts: 13 Member
Hi all!
I've walked away from EMTWL a few times but keep coming back because it makes sense. Usually I jump straight to a cut because I'm impatient and haven't been on a very low calorie diet in a long time. But i also haven't been consistent in my eating habits, following days when I eat very little by days where I eat way more than I need and all the wrong foods! Pretty sure my body is just confused half the time.
Anyway I decided to come back and try this approach again because like I said it makes so much sense. I'm going to be eating at tdee for at least the next month or two (and i have an operation coming up so my tdee will likely drop a little due to being less active in recovery.) And see how I go on with it.
Stats:

F/32/5'4"/150 lbs

My fitbit has me hitting 2000-2300 ish depending on how active ive been. I plugged my numbers into Scooby and that put me at 2200 so that's my goal for now. I am fairly active walking (no car so walk most places) and I do what is basically resistance training at the gym 2 x per week for 45 mins.

I've only been doing this for a few days but already feel better, more energy etc. Its a nice feeling to have a calorie goal to meet rather than challenge myself to stay as far below as I can and I'm finding forward planning to make sure I eat enough is now key for me. No more "saving" calories, I have to use them up or Im struggling to get my macros in by the end of the day.

As far as macros I'm mostly just concentrating on getting my protein up. As long as I get over 100g a day anything above that is a bonus although I think my goal per 40/30/30 is more like 150g. Taking it slow and building from where I am.

I hope it's ok to start another newbie/not newbie thread. I love reading everyone else's progress so hope having somewhere to share mine might maybe keep me committed. I know consistency and patience is what i need with this approach, and Im committed to sticking with it now!

Replies

• kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I am a newbie/newbie - so I love reading peoples stories and journey results.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Good to have you back :) There really is something wonderful about having to hit goals rather than follow rules for limitation. "How do I make sure I get enough protein and fibre today?" is so much better than "I'm not allowed to eat that because its too many calories and I'll fail today."

Patience is a big key. Be prepared for it to take a large amount of time. Sounds like a great plan to work on one thing at a time, gettign that protein up and working on finiding your true TDEE. Be prepared to test that number from Scooby's calculator as well - it's just a guide and your TDEE might actually be more than that. No calculator is going to tell you - you need to invest time and patience into finding it yourself.
  • megrosborne
    Options
    Thanks both. I have really appreciated reading your threads and posts here in the forum. Firefly your thread is the one that pulled me back in. I love your approach to pushing your tdee and the positivity you are sharing. Good luck xx
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you back!
    You are totally doing the right things.
    Focus on one change at a time and do that consistently until you nail it.
    Making sure you hit your calorie level every day is you priority. Do this consistently for a few weeks before starting the next habit. But, sounds like you know all of this, right? Preaching to the choir!
    So glad you decided to come back and if you hit into any problems, do share here so we can help.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • megrosborne
    Options
    So I just wanted to update a little. I had an operation on my thyroid about a month ago and planned to drop my calorie goal to reflect the fact that i wouldn't be exercising so much but in the end i didn't, just left it right where it was. Some days I tracked some days i didn't. Same wth hitting macros. I didn't stress too much about it. I'm almost back to normal activity now (had a holiday in there too so no tracking, no exercise beyond walking for a week) here's what I've found:

1. My weight hasn't changed much at all. It's bounced around, and ive dropped maybe half a pound but I feel confident that my tdee is solid - I'm actually tempted to increase once I start exercising properly and regularly again.
    2. I am struggling to hit my protein macros and need to plan my meals better to hit both calories and especially protein. I tend to rely on protein powder/bars and would like to change this. It'll just take time to find alternatives I think.
    3. When I wenr back to the gym after some time off I was fully prepared to do a much lighter/easier workout. Apart from a couple of moderations i basically managed the whole thing without struggle, despite the break. It's nice to feel like I am fuelling my body properly.

So basically I'm getting back into the swing of tdee tree and exercising. I'm not going to attempt a cut yet and im not 100% sure I have my tdee quite right (altho I'm at about 100 cal more than my fitbit suggests) I'm also waiting on follow up appt with the dr and possible medication which might change my metabolism a bit so figure it's probably not wise to change too much at once.

Thanks to everyone posting here tho it is so helpful to xome and read people's experiences :)
  • empressichel
    Options
    You have this so figured out!
    I agree on the not changing too many things at once.
    Your body will be thankful of the TDEE calories for healing post op.
    Hope everything goes well with the follow up doc appointment.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • megrosborne
    Options
    Ichel - thanks so much :)
    All ok from the hospital, tho they will be checking my thyroid function for the next little while. I'm going to stick with eating tdee, tracking as best I can and exercising. Figure I can give myself the time now to just give my brain a break from years of diet games.
    Have a great week!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Great to hear all is ok.
    Enjoy the break both mental and physical.
    A chill phase can be exactly what we need sometimes. You will come back stronger from it.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • krazykrafter
    krazykrafter Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Recenlty returned to MFP been taking care of elderly parents the past year, who are actully doing much better now thankfully! My first time to joining EM2WL and was really intriqued by the post on here. I am also one of those that doesn't really like to eat, I do it because I know I need to and skip meals often times so I think this might be a good fit for me to get on the right track and learn more productive eating habits.

I am F:56:5'8:175 - I started back to walking a couple of weeks ago and have been as faithful as I can be weather permitting (rainy season here). But I my goal is to walk 5 miles 2 days a week and 2 miles 3 days a week, then taking a couple of days off. My walking regime changes daily as I work on an airforce facility and the route options are tramendous, with hills, stairs and trails to choose from so I am not doing the same route each day.

I have a very slow metabolism so moving is pretty much all that will really kick the weight loss off, so I am looking forward to hearing advice and suggestions that might help me along my journey.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Happy to see you here!
    Let's first have a look at what calorie level you should be aiming for http://eatmore2weighless.com/weight-loss-calculator/
    Do you have access to weights? If you want to build a stronger metabolism, the foundations are built on muscle!
    Totally recommend watching this http://eatmore2weighless.com/cant-fix-metabolism-without-addressing-this/
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    This is wonderful to hear!
    And don't underestimate how an update post like this inspired and encourages others to start with EM2WL or to keep going!
    Thank you!
    @megrosborne would it be ok to share this NSV with others?
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting - its so good to hear from people who stick it out and share their end results. It helps inspire those of us who are newer to this :)