On edge

Options
riaward1990
riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I have been low carb for over a year now, with a daily limit of 30g carbs, although I usually have around 20ish. Over the last 10 days I have dropped my carbs further with the last few days eating almost 0 carbs (basically just meat and fat).

While I'm enjoying some effects of this (losing water weight, lack of hunger etc) I've noticed an increase in my anxiety. I am constantly on edge, feeling stressed over nothing, have paranoia over what people think of me, overthink every situation. I have increased energy but to the point that I can't sleep and I can't help but think this restlessness is linked to my anxiety.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so does it settle down? I prefer eating like this but after making so much improvement with my mental health I can't bare to be like this. Or is this all in my paranoid/anxious head , nothing to do with low carb and its purely a coincidence.

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not anxiety but my depression gets really bad when I'm at 20-30g carbs. I've recently upped it, mostly just putting carbs around workouts and allowing some extra starchy veg (carrots, etc) and I've noticed a huge improvement in my depression. Perhaps it would also work with anxiety?
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have low level generalized anxiety that's well managed through coping skills and therapy over the years. Generally I feel good about my mental health and can pin point what is making me anxious and know how to ameliorate it.

One thing I recognized years ago is too much caffeine intensifies my anxiety. Recently though, I am feeling the anxiety intensify without additional caffeine. It's occurred to me it has something to do with my way of eating but to date, I haven't been able to pin point it. There is a growing body of evidence that our mental health is significantly impacted by our gut and the balance of bacteria residing in our intestines. No doubt, significant changes happen to that bacteria and biome inside us when we make changes to the way we eat.

So, I don't have any answers, I'm still looking into them myself but I very strongly doubt it's purely a coincidence or that it's all in your head.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    When my carbs go too low, I experience increased anxiety and mania. So, I aim for fifty total as a hard limit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've heard some experiencing that from too low of carbs for them. It isn't a universal truth but it seems not uncommon.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    I have low level generalized anxiety that's well managed through coping skills and therapy over the years. Generally I feel good about my mental health and can pin point what is making me anxious and know how to ameliorate it.

Wow. That is an accomplishment!

What would you recommend for people who haven't figured out how to cope?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough overall still?
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    And if the triggers are out of your control... I suppose it's a question of acceptance* and workarounds.

* "Glücklich ist,
    Wer vergisst
    Was doch nicht zu ändern ist!"
    - Die Fledermaus
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    That's true. Knowing the triggers can tell you if they're in your control or out of your control and if you know that they are out of your control then, what can you do to work around the anxiety or cope with it or manage it to an acceptable level.
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. Over the last few years I've improved massively thanks to medication (initially ) and lots of cognitive behavioural therapy. I haven't had any panic attacks from this recent spike in anxiety but only because I'm recognising when the spiralling starts and taking myself out of the situation. Everyone in my close family/friends group have said I look tired and stressed.

Overall my calories have reduced a bit but only because lack of hunger has reduced me down to one meal a day and there's only so much I can fit in one meal. I'm on about 1200-1300 a day so not too low (I have a very sedentary life)

I was wondering if tackling the restlessness might help, maybe incorporating some exercise would help with emotions.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This thread has been super helpful and makes me want to look into this more...I've been tackling depression for at least the past year, and while it's still there, it has shifted intensity since getting back to low carb in Feb. But I get bouts of anxiety & can't turn my brain off when there's really nothing pressing to stress over. Now I want to learn more.

Thanks for those who shared their stories a bit and bringing this up.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    After my cognitive behavioral therapy for my sleeping issues, I learned a few things.
    • It is OK to worry, everyone worries
    • Make sure you have a worry time, put your worries/anxieties to one side, write them down and concentrate on them at your worry time
    • when you wake up at night, cannot sleep, write in your journal, it is amazing how much better you feel when you write it all down, read your notes in the morning, I bet most of it you will look at and think, why did that keep me awake?
    • Routines is great for us with worries and anxiety issues, but we do not cope very well with changes
    • One of the more useful techniques I was taught that actually works made me feel like an idiot the first few times, but it works; concentrate on an object, the colors, the texture, how it might feel in your hand/fingers, variations in the pattern/colors. The concentration often switches your brain off from worrying, and into concentrating instead, so you can relax and get back to sleep.
    • If the above does not help, the slow butt clenching does help - after 15 mins of concentrating you'll be ready to sleep, and wake up with a sore butt from the exercising in the morning. Yup, I do it from time to time when nothing else helps. It takes my mind of my worries and gives me more sleep. More sleep for me means less anxiety, less worrying, better mood and better mental health.
    • It took me months to master the above to make them useful tools by the way, and yes I felt silly doing them, but it has worked, no meds no more, sleeping well 5 out of 7 nights a week (yes I am still work in progress) I have yet to go really low on the carbs, but I am hoping what I learned through my counselling might be a bit of a help to you guys, who are still struggling. I use the above techniques weekly to keep myself in check.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    sounds like a magnesium deficiency to me...epsom salt bath?
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Could seasonal affective disorder (SAD) be part of this? Depression and anxiety commonly go together. Years ago, my doctor suggested I use a light box starting in October through March. DH used to do this, too, until his workplace installed full spectrum lights throughout the mill. He used to literally break down and cry by January over nothing and with light therapy is a pretty cheerful guy throughout the winter now.

Perhaps the timing of the symptoms occurring during the winter when we get so little sun (those of us in northern climes can really get hit) is coincidental to the change in how much carb you are eating. Just a thought.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've been waking up very early in the morning (sometimes so early it's not today yet) and conjuring up every worst case scenario for every aspect of my life and, indeed, the whole planet. Not good. For some odd reason, moving from my nice comfy bed to the living room couch, accompanied by two 11 month old kittens and a fleece blanket sends me back to sleep for a reasonably good night's sleep. Go figure. I'm guessing the kittens are optional but the fleece blanket is essential.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    *kitten* =/= optional.