Glucose Needs for Brain / Protein Needed to Prevent Muscle Loss on Low Carb Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• CarrieMoritz
    CarrieMoritz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »
    I spent 2-3 hours reading on his site yesterday. He is geared toward weight loss and body building. I'm a 70 year old formerly fat T2 controlling BG with diet rather than diabetes meds so my needs are somewhat different than most of his clients but science is science. I always regard it as a good day when I learn something and I learned several things yesterday.

Lyle is definitely top of the game. If you want another, more layman but definitely highly respectable perspective, John Berardi's Precision Nutrition website is a great source.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - regarding making glucose from fat, perhaps you should read this:

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2012/01/07/we-really-can-make-glucose-from-fatty/

I have read/heard multiple times fat can be converted to glucose. It is just highly inefficient and not direct. I really don't think you need to eat as much protein as you think you do to make sure you get the glucose your brain needs without losing muscle.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 - regarding making glucose from fat, perhaps you should read this:

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2012/01/07/we-really-can-make-glucose-from-fatty/

I have read/heard multiple times fat can be converted to glucose. It is just highly inefficient and not direct. I really don't think you need to eat as much protein as you think you do to make sure you get the glucose your brain needs without losing muscle.

Yes, I thought there was something there. Here's what I know: I was in DKA once... I know this isn't "normal" and isn't applicable to 98% of the rest of the population, but it was a noticeable difference in a short period of time. So in 2 days, I lost about 50 lbs. I almost died, BG was 938 mg/dl, and this is not a good way to lose weight. However, after getting out of the hospital with fluids fully replaced, I was still about 20 lbs. lighter. As I was losing, I recall being able to notice that belly fat was clearly decreasing (more so on the right side than the left... not sure why). As my BG rose, I couldn't get to that glucose without insulin and my body thought I was starving. So it kept creating glucose. That glucose was mostly coming from fat. I know it's anecdotal, but I do find it hard to believe that fat is unable to be converted to glucose at all. I can believe that it is inefficient, though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Yes, I thought there was something there. Here's what I know: I was in DKA once... I know this isn't "normal" and isn't applicable to 98% of the rest of the population, but it was a noticeable difference in a short period of time. So in 2 days, I lost about 50 lbs. I almost died, BG was 938 mg/dl, and this is not a good way to lose weight. However, after getting out of the hospital with fluids fully replaced, I was still about 20 lbs. lighter. As I was losing, I recall being able to notice that belly fat was clearly decreasing (more so on the right side than the left... not sure why). As my BG rose, I couldn't get to that glucose without insulin and my body thought I was starving. So it kept creating glucose. That glucose was mostly coming from fat. I know it's anecdotal, but I do find it hard to believe that fat is unable to be converted to glucose at all. I can believe that it is inefficient, though.

Fat is broken down into fatty acids, one of which is glycerol and it becomes glucose.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Remember Pi.