Newbie Weight Lifting

Options
PitBullMom_Liz
PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
I want to start lifting heavy things and putting them back down. I would like to do this in the comfort of my own home as I cannot afford a gym. Saying that, I realize I'll need to purchase some basic equipment. Saying THAT, right now I can probably not do much more than lift a bar with no weights on it.

SO, help. Should I get a book? NROLFW seems to require equipment at a gym, not just basic stuff in my basement. Just do some basic lifts? I'd prefer a program over just random lifting. And what equipment is a necessity for a bare-bones beginner?

Thank you!

Replies

• Muir78
    Muir78 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It may seem silly, but body-weight exercises are a great place to start. Things like push-ups, planks, and squats will help to strengthen muscles and no equipment needed. :)

Also, starting with body-weight for some moves, like squats, to get down the proper form is also vital before you should even think about adding weight. Unlearning bad habits once you have weights is a lot harder to do.

I also know some folks that started out with using gallon-jugs of water, bags of pet food, etc. and saved their money for a bit down the road when they get into heavier items that you can't find with common household goods.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    This is tough... Being new, I really think you should invest in a gym membership where you can get advice from trainers on how to use the equipment properly (to avoid injury). But, I know you want to lift at home (and will probably stick to a program that is right there vs one you have to drive to), so here goes:

What I'd buy:
    1) A basic weight bench.
    2) Dumbbells, two each of 8, 10, 12, and 15 (after 12lbs they usually go for about a dollar a pound, but you might find some used ones cheaper).
    3) Power bands
    4) Stability ball.

The power bands and the stability ball will likely come with workout DVDs. You can look on Youtube for videos for the dumbbell exercises (bench press, seated military press, dumbbell row, dumbbell kickback, and bicep dumbbell curl). As you get stronger, you can reward yourself with the next increment of dumbbells.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It may seem silly, but body-weight exercises are a great place to start. Things like push-ups, planks, and squats will help to strengthen muscles and no equipment needed. :)

Also, starting with body-weight for some moves, like squats, to get down the proper form is also vital before you should even think about adding weight. Unlearning bad habits once you have weights is a lot harder to do.

I also know some folks that started out with using gallon-jugs of water, bags of pet food, etc. and saved their money for a bit down the road when they get into heavier items that you can't find with common household goods.

I second the bodyweight stuff since you're short on cash. Pick up, find, or make something you can hang on (to do pull ups), and that's about all the equipment you need (unless you get really, really strong and start doing work with rings). You Are Your Own Gym and Convict Conditioning are pretty much to bodyweight stuff as NRoL is to weighted stuff.

Never underestimate the power of lifting your own bodyweight.

If you're dead set on weights, as others have said - scour craigslist and garage sales for cheap, but quality dumbbells, barbell, and weights. I probably wouldn't skimp on the power/squat/safety rack, though, since it has to hold up to a couple hundred pounds over your head, neck, or chest. The last thing you want is for that to fail, but that may be something you can buy later on, once you've graduated to larger weights and barbell work.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The new rules program can be modified to use dumbbells but eventually you are going to want to invest in a barbell and some plates. As others mentioned there are great body weight exercises to be done as a beginner. They include; planks, pull-up (simple door mounted bar with a sturdy chair), push-ups, squats, dips, wall sits, lunges. You can add dumbbells to many of those as well as do minor modifications like close grip or pike for the push-ups.

NerdFitness.com is a great resource, so is ExRx.com, and if you sign up for Mark Sisson's free newsletter (at Mark's Daily Apple) he gives you a free PDF booklet called Primal Blueprint Fitness that includes descriptions for the different progression levels for some of the main body weight exercises as well as links to demonstration YouTube videos. I highly recommend it. :)
  • CaveBrain
    CaveBrain Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about burpees, and kettle bells, which are my least favorites, but pretty effective!!
    I have a CrossFit trainer buddy who taught me all of the techniques before joining (then I quit). So perhaps you can find someone locally who does freelance training, or at least an intro session into some techniques. I wouldn't waste money on gym membership. As long as you're motivated, you can reach whatever goal you set out. I'm hoping to get out of my lazier-than-thou rut and get back into heavy lifting.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I probably am way ahead of myself with wanting to start with weights. Body weight is more my speed right now. :-)
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson has a bunch of videos on doing your own workout with body weight and it's modified from beginner to advanced.
    here are the links to some of the videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrHG7m4m4-A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRiFnyqTxQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6J7TVYDq8
    and these are just a few