Keto and antibiotics...

Options
I've had a bad chest infection which I struggled to clear up with clean eating, hydration and generally looking after myself better than I ever have before, and yesterday had to admit defeat and visit the doctor, who has prescribed me a short course of antibiotics - doxycycline, a tetracycline derived drug. I've done a fair bit of reading about the effects on ketosis and, particularly on r/keto, there is a split between people who have been knocked out of ketosis by, they believe, the antibiotics, and people who have continued with no effects to their fat burning chemistry. What have been people's experiences here, and do you have any advice that may be useful when you're forced to accept an antibiotic treatment whilst eating keto? TIA!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    *Kitten*, that's a tough one.

The only thing I can think of if there's no way around antibiotics is to supplement with kefir, Sauerkraut, megaspore, and other quality probiotics. But that's probably not news...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    *Kitten*, that's a tough one.

The only thing I can think of if there's no way around antibiotics is to supplement with kefir, Sauerkraut, megaspore, and other quality probiotics. But that's probably not news...

That's exactly what I was going to say. If need them, just get it over with. Repopulate your gut in the process and don't use it as excuse to eat "whatever". Your body still needs all the help it can get for healing.