Weight regain

Options
lbencomo
lbencomo Posts: 30 Member
In October 2011 I was 386lbs. I was on oxygen and in a wheelchair. The doctor told me I had 5 to 10 years left because of my emphysema. I had gastric bypass surgery and over the next 2 years I lost 171lbs. Over the last 2 years I have put 50lbs back on and I'm scared to death about regaining all that weight back. I got in the habit of drinking coffee all day and skipping meals then eating sandwiches throughout the night. I went back to the bariatric clinic to ask for help. They gave me advice now it's up to me. The honeymoon phase is long over so it's going to be a lot of work to get down to 150lbs. Is there anyone out there in my boat?

Replies

• blueeyezny
    blueeyezny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 2 years out (sleeve). I lost 113 total with 10 lbs. regain but scared of gaining it all back as well. I am also getting back into bad habits...mostly grazing...and sugar...it's my enemy. It's so hard!!!
  • mony956
    mony956 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my sleeve in December 2014 so I'm over two years out. I started at about 265 and went down to 160 pounds. I had been doing great, eating well and exercising almost every day, I saw a personal trainer 3-4 times a week for a year. Last year my gym and PT contracts ended and my husband was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma so little by little over the last year I regained almost 30 pounds. I stopped eating at the right times and made bad food choices, plus stopped exercising. Thankfully now I am getting back in track because like you, I am scared of going back to where I was! I went to a website that calculates macros (www.iifym.com) and started following that two weeks ago, I am eating at the right times and am making good choices with the occasional "cheat meal" once a week. I am using the app Jefit to help organize my workouts and I love it. I have not lost any weight so far, but I feel better and I can feel my clothes starting to fit better as well.

Do not give up! Find something to help you get organized and get yourself back into a routine.
  • klyn2006
    klyn2006 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 14 months post-sleeve surgery and have stopped losing, though I am 20 lbs. from my goal. I gained 2 lbs. back and noticed it right away in my clothes. The sugar trap is hard for me, and I need to make better choices. I bought a new workout video and need to start moving again. I have come too far to go back!
  • SabrinaNorton70
    SabrinaNorton70 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im almost 13 years out, and after having a hysterectomy Ive gained over 25 pounds! this hormone thing sucks! Im trying to go back to basics but feel like im on a rollercoaster that I can't get off of! I take bioidentical hormones, thyroid meds-armor and nothing is working. Ive done keto, whole 30, protein shakes and doctor suggested diet pills to which I said NO! I don't over eat! I really believe its super hard to lose weight unless all hormones are level for women my age. Any one else like this?
  • kellyjellyjeanbean
    Options
    A little late to this thread but I just found it today. I had DS 8+ years ago in March 2010, starting at 282, lost down to the 150's for about a minute, stabilized back in the high 160's, maintained that for many years with a fairly active lifestyle. In the past few years, I lost and gained the same 25lbs going as high as 185 and as low as 160. I know what I need to do and I know what my weakness is (grazing and junk food).

I am working hard now to see a new ultimate low weight and reward myself with skin removal surgery. I am bouncing around a goal of <150 but if it goes well, I will strive for <140 as that gets me out of the 'overweight' category.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUT IT'S A TOPIC WE WILL FACE FOREVER REGARDLESS OF HOW WE LOSE THE WEIGHT. THAT'S WHY I THINK IT'S STILL WORTH RESPONDING TO.

MANY WHO POSTED KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING WRONG. WHAT WE ALL REALLY STRUGGLE WITH IS HOW TO STOP MAKING THE SAME MISTAKE. FINDING THE CAUSES OF OUR MISTAKES AND ADDRESSING EACH IS THE HARDEST PART OF MAINTENANCE.

OFTEN TIMES OUR MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS ARE NOT MUCH HELP BECAUSE THEY HAVE A ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH. FINDING WHAT TRIGGERS NON COMPLIANCE AND WHAT KEEPS US ON OUR PROGRAMS IS PERSONAL AND SUCH HARD WORK. IT CAN BE EMOTIONAL TOO REQUIRING US TO FIND NEW COPING MECHANISMS WHEN WE FEEL LEAST ABLE. TIME AND RESOURCES FOR COUNSELING AND OR THERAPY IS NOT ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

WE ALL KNOW THE RULES. GET BACK TO BASICS AND SHAVE THE CALORIES UNTIL YOU SEE RESULTS. MOST IMPORTANT IS PROTEIN FIRST SO YOU WILL HAVE LESS ROOM FOR THOSE QUICK TO DIGEST, HIGH CALORIE, HIGH CARBOHYDRATE FOODS. IF THESE ARE A PROBLEM, YOU'VE GOT TO FIGURE OUT WHY AND WHEN YOU GO TO THE TROUBLESOME ACTIONS.

TO THE MENOPAUSAL LADIES I SAY TALK TO YOUR GYN. THEY OFTEN BETTER UNDERSTAND OUR NEEDS BECAUSE THEY UNDERSTAND OUR CHANGING HORMONES. FINGERS CROSSED YOU ARE BIT DEALING WITH PHYSICIANS WITH A FAT PREJUDICE. IF SO FIRE THAT DR AND FIND SOMEONE BETTER.

CONSIDER THAT YOU MAY NEED TO EAT LESS THAN THE CALCULATORS SAY. I'VE BEEN GIVEN 900-1100 CALORIES DAILY FOR ACTIVE WEIGHT LOSS AND UP TO 1400 TO MAINTAIN A NORMAL BMI. I'M A MUSCULAR 5'4" AND I EXERCISE TO BURN 3500 CALORIES WEEKLY. THIS BARELY KEEPS ME AT MY TARGET OF JUST UNDER 140lbs AND 18% - 20% BODY FAT.

MY SURGEON CALLS IT METABOLICALLY CHALLENGED. IT'S HOW I'M MADE SO I MUST DEAL WITH IT. WITH THAT BEING SAID, I'M WAY OFF MY GAME AND GETTING BACK TO BASICS INCLUDING SLASHING THE CALORIES OVER A FEW WEEKS UNTIL I'M LOSING AGAIN. I TYPE THIS WEARING JEANS THAT ARE SCREAMING FOR RELIEF AS MY LOWER HALF HAS OVER FILLED THEM.

THIS LEADS TO THE POST I'VE PASTED BELOW FROM A PREVIOUS POST OF MINE SEVERAL YEARS BACK. THIS IS MY NUMBER ONE METHOD OF AVOIDING SIGNIFICANT REGAIN.

Re-posted from maintenance easy or hard topic

NEVER BUY A LARGER SIZE!

Measure your clothing rather than rely on tags because brands and styles will vary. Bring a tape measure and your new normal smaller measurements with you when shopping.

If you must size up for the perfect fit then walk away with nothing. Discomfort & no wardrobe updates can be motivating.

When your career depends upon looking your best, survival may encourage positive action. In a superficial society a too tight suit or being poorly appointed at an important function can negate the hard work that brought you there.

PLEASE NOTE THE CAPS ARE NOT SHOUTING AT YOU. I'M HARD OF SEEING. 😉