Low carb advice for those with thyroid issues

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
I found out the hard way that I can't go too low and am now trying to get a minimum of 75g of carbs per day per the advice of Chris Kresser. Has anyone been able to help their thyroid by specific diet changes? Paleo?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that I didn't notice any difference with mine.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dr Amy Myers has written some books on diet and thyroid you might find helpful. I have autoimmune thyroid issues and have to avoid gluten and dairy.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't find that carb levels seems to impact my thyroid at all, however if I don't eat enough calories I definitely start having low thyroid symptoms, so for me I just make sure I'm eating all my calories including about half my exercise calories...slow and steady loss, no big deficits...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, the only things that have helped that significantly seem to be getting enough of the thyroid support nutrients, like zinc and selenium, iodine, and the others. Tyrosine seems to be huge for me in this as well. Increasing my iodine was the first step in ever starting to feel human again, though I keep it lower now than I did before, as I've started leveling out all of my support nutrients there.

All I can tell you as far as carb levels is that my thyroid hates the SAD and isn't a fan of keto (it stalled out 3 separate times on me). I can tell you what my thyroid does NOT like...but not what it does.

Although, since I started eating Braunschweiger more often, I've noticed that my thyroid does seem to like it when I eat organ meats, regardless of SAD/Keto or any other plan. Oh, and sleep. Lots of good, deep sleep. It loves that. Though I will admit, I'm not sure if that has more to do with reducing the natural insulin resistance effect of too little sleep or another function of restorative sleep...