Tinkering

Options
TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
This may just be a guy thing. My progress has been good. I have nothing to complain about. And yet I am continually looking at every aspect of my program to see if I can make improvements? Do other people do this?

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    All the dang time. I drive myself loopy with it. When I start tinkering with upping my carbs, it's been a downward spiral.

I'm in a good place. It's getting easier to not tinker. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    But, I'm a huge fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Anytime I tweaked things out to make them better, it sent me out of control in a different direction. Sure evaluate, keep your tinkering ideas in your back pocket... But sincerely, try to tweak only one thing in any 12 week period so that you can have true and accurate results...it takes that long to show legit differences.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    This may just be a guy thing. My progress has been good. I have nothing to complain about. And yet I am continually looking at every aspect of my program to see if I can make improvements? Do other people do this?

That is a great place to be-having good results. I was very much in the same frame of mind throughout my weight loss. It was working so I personally didn't look any further than what I was doing (a calorie deficit) and it kept working.

It was only when I joined this forum which ultimately exposed me to so many varied approaches with everything from vitamin supplementation to macro tweaking that I started questioning everything as it pertained to weight loss, which is really irrelevant since I'm at maintenance and have been for quite sometime.

Agree with @knitormiss that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It is nice to learn all these option and opinions and research but I've found few that pertain specifically to me. Yet, I continue to explore...
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I "tinker" but I do look for continued inspiration. I can easily get the "Mehs" about things. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss can attest to the absurd levels of my self-experimentation and pushing. I have a penchant for the extreme though, so pretty much any and all standard dietary advice is useless to me.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Until I reached my original weightloss goal, I really didn't tinker too much because what I was doing was working really well for me. But since I hit my numbers, I've been doing little experiments & tinkering with stuff quite a bit. Like you said -to try & make improvements. Especially to see how different adjustments affect everything else.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I change my workout programs every month or two, otherwise I get bored...I only change the eating plan every 3-6 months if at all...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, that is how I ended up with LowCarbsHealthyFats as my WOE. I must mix up exercise, walking and hiking are always in there, but more and more I am back into yoga and strength training. If I don't mix up stuff, I stall out, mentally and physically. It is a Journey and the trip is just as important, if not more so, than the destination.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss can attest to the absurd levels of my self-experimentation and pushing. I have a penchant for the extreme though, so pretty much any and all standard dietary advice is useless to me.

@Gallowmere1984 - I will also attest that it is your extreme level of commitment and dedication, paired with a rather extensive and extremely detailed level of self knowledge, that allows your ongoing ... adventures to warrant successes and greater knowledge.

Though I do maintain that the root of all your exploration did stem from "standard dietary advice" and realizing how, no matter your implementation of it, it did not fit you, hence your drive and determination to find what did work for you...
  • Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think it's normal enough! Isn't it the human condition to try to be the best? Particularly when we're in this mindset, of losing weight, nailing our diets, destroying our workouts, etc., we're working on becoming our better selves... which makes it hard to not go overboard trying to make what we do even more intense for even better results.
    If you're having good results, focus on your good results! Don't stress too much about changing things which are working for you if you're happy enough with what's going on right now.