Do you Work out on Fast Days?

Options
Hi all! I haven't come to chat in a while but just read this mindbodygreen article and it spoke to me. I am embarking on an 8-week training plan to prep for my first 10k. I'll be running 2 5k in April and I've not run at all seriously ever so this is a big stretch for me.

My question for you is: Do you work out on FD? If so when? If not, why? Did it not work for you / bring on cravings / never tried?

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I have worked out a lot after a 19-hr fast. I will bonk on a run after about 35-minutes if I've fasted about 20-hrs or if I try to lift heavy. To avoid bonking, I'm running in the mornings now and have never bonked doing that with a 20:4 fast eating in the evenings 6 days a week. Also, it didn't made me real hungry even though I didn't eat for about another 10-hrs after the run. I've backed off now to a 5:2 schedule and the two days I fast I don't work out and the other 5-days I work out in the am and then eat a small breakfast afterwards.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I managed to work up to a 60 mile / 100km bike ride fasted, the pace was slower, but it was ok, you do need to work up to it though, took me about 4 - 5 months to get there.
  • dryheatfitness
    dryheatfitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks. I will definitely try to do early AM on Fast Days. No bonking needed. :)
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I also workout on FD. I try to exercise in some way everyday, rain or shine. I usually walk about 50 minutes everyday and afterwards do a strength training routine. Lower body on days I don't have ballet, upper body on dance days. In addition, I take ballet 3x's/week for 2 hours (it isn't continuous dancing...lots of corrections/explanations). Since I've never been in the habit of eating before exercising, it hasn't been an issue for me. On days where I fast and dance, because class is midday, I will eat an energy gel to help. I have had episodes where I feel depleted and a GU usually helps prevent that.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi Dryheat! I like the sound of your challenge! I'm not a runner, but I walk some times 70 minutes before eating or I have lifted weights before I eat, each with no problem... however I'm not hard core at either, but I do sometimes feel better with a glass of water in me or half cup of hot water (I don't drink coffee). I've also had one mouthful of banana or half a kiwi or even 1 prune before exercising.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!