13»

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?

No, you won't be required to eat any stuff that's bad for you.

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

WOW so complex. I just view myself in my coffin when looking at such foods.

I visualize large piles of white sugar with a skull and crossbones in front of it. Lately the skull is wearing a pink bow but I'm not sure of the significance. I've also been known to ask myself "if strychnine were sweet, would you drink it?"

Edited because once I acknowledged the image I realized I must have it as profile pic.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm doing lazy keto. The most important number to me is net carbs. I aim for 20 a day but if its like 30 I'm not gonna freak because you stay in ketosis at 50 and under as far as I know.

I also only eat the full fat version of any food item and we make fat bombs for treats. I'm down 34 pounds since January so lazy keto is getting the job done for me so far.

I do have a total calorie limit set by MFP and I keep to it or below, so there's that too.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I'm doing lazy keto. The most important number to me is net carbs. I aim for 20 a day but if its like 30 I'm not gonna freak because you stay in ketosis at 50 and under as far as I know.

I also only eat the full fat version of any food item and we make fat bombs for treats. I'm down 34 pounds since January so lazy keto is getting the job done for me so far.

I do have a total calorie limit set by MFP and I keep to it or below, so there's that too.

Yep, I experimented and found that 20-30 net, occasionally higher, was just fine for me in terms of ketosis, weight loss, symptom reduction, etc.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Yep, I experimented and found that 20-30 net, occasionally higher, was just fine for me in terms of ketosis, weight loss, symptom reduction, etc.

Same here! I love keto, its working so well for me and my wife! So much better than straight CICO with no carb restrictions at all.

Every time I have tried to lose weight that way I felt starved 24/7 and gave up after a few weeks. With keto we have been on it since January of this year and still going strong! :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been eating therapeutic keto for a year for a neurological movement disorder. Last October I began to feel/observe keto being less effective so trialed MCT Oil Therapeutic. No benefit. I'm back where I was a year ago in regards to involuntary movement. I tested it last week with an intentional very high carb day. My involuntary movement didn't get worse as it had done before which confirms keto is no longer effective for my purposes. Hopefully it is as bad as it is going to get. It is not typically a disorder to progressively worsen and definitely not something that will kill me. :/

Bummer but at least I now know I should continue very low carb as it keeps me satiated unlike the moderate carb I used initially for weight loss and maintenance. Keto? Probably. Not sure.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As soon as a strayed the tiniest bit with Atkins bars I gained 4lbs immediately. So I know that I'll probably have to do induction levels of this WOE from now on. I have less than 15 carbs a day for the most part.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    As soon as a strayed the tiniest bit with Atkins bars I gained 4lbs immediately. So I know that I'll probably have to do induction levels of this WOE from now on. I have less than 15 carbs a day for the most part.

Hrrrmm? What were you doing before?
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Hrrrmm? What were you doing before?

The same. Less than 15 carbs a day, tried to stick to 70/25/5. No nuts or fruit either.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Holy heck thank you. I was starting to freak out, again, that I'm doing this wrong! I had a gal try to sell me her keto crap because there was no way I was in ketosis at 35 net carbs. I need to trust my body and remember that we're not all the same physio wise. I am thinking I need the breath checker though, it will help with these paranoid moments!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm happy with strict keto and am now in maintenance.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Do you think its possible to stick to this long term or will I eventually cave and have to have low carb sweets and stuff?

No, you won't be required to eat any stuff that's bad for you.

Basically, it's all in your head. Here's my approach, which is pretty common. YMMV....

I look at any sweet, starch, or junk food as poison that will eat a hole through your skull and give you perpetual diarrhea, hot flashes, and garlic breath with metallic overtones. Oh, and make you belch acid and sparks whenever you try to talk.

Is that helpful?

What is YMMV stand for?

Your midriff may vibrate
    Your mastiff may vomit
    Yes, my mom vapes
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Young Man Munches V....

No, too risqué.... It's a family show, folks.....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ..... Vegemite?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Yes. Correct. This side of the watershed, it would definitely be vegemite.