Squats vs. Deadlifts - substitutions

Options
phizzylizzy
phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
Hello there!

I just started Stage 4 last week and find myself doing deadlifts again. I really miss squats. I'm told that squats and deadlifts work the same muscle groups, but squats have less risk of injury. Being that my workout partner hurt his back a few weeks ago (yes, my fiance is doing NROLFW with me, which is 100% awesome), and I also hurt my back doing deadlifts in Stage 1, I'm inclined to believe this. My form has improved since Stage 1, and fiance's back problem was unrelated to a workout (he pulled a muscle while bending over in a funny way on vacay).

I prefer to follow this program by the book, so much so that I will wait 20 minutes for a certain machine to open up rather than do an alternate move at the gym. Are there any theories on switching the deadlift for a squat at this point in the program? I think deadlifts are a good exercise, but if I am accomplishing the same thing by doing a squat, I want to work on PR there and also like what it does for my booty. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I workout at home and find myself doing a handful of alternatives. At the end of the day, as long as you're lifting heavy, who cares?

For squats and deadlifts, I personally wouldn't switch them out... I like both :drinker:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Get a trainer for a few sessions to learn proper form. It will be money well spent. I tweaked my back doing a PR lift a little bit last summer. I've spent the last six months getting my form correct, and I will soon be back up to my original PR and then upwards from there!

Myself, I can't really do squats right now due to a neck injury. But I'm doing hack squats, and someday back squatting's time will come! :-D
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post - get someone to make sure you are doing them properly.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't find that deads and squats are fully interchangable. If you're hurting your back doing dl's have a trainer check your form.
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. A trainer is probably a good investment at this point. Almost 4 months into lifting now and not planning on stopping any time soon. :)
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Super technically, squats and deadlifts sort of work the same muscles but the primary focus is different. Squats target the quads most of all (front of leg), deadlifts you should feel in the hamstrings (back of leg). I also tend to notice squats more in the glutes, and deadlifts a bit more in the lower back (but if you feel it too hard then you are probably doing something wrong).

When doing deadlifts you really should focus on pushing through your feet and feeling the "lift" or pull motion in your hamstrings. My lower back usually gets a work, but that's more from keeping it straight and preventing it from bowing. I always make sure I am NOT lifting with my back.

I'm not sure about suitable alternatives, though you could probably do some mix of leg press machine with a lower back exercise. Lunges work the legs as well. Maybe you could try some of the tougher alternatives he has in the book.

Trainers are great if you can afford them. But also sites like bodybuilding.com are great resources for what muscles you should be feeling it in and form. Also, videos on youtube + mirror or buddy to help can do wonders as well.

Good luck.