Salt/Sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott, thank you for the short vid. It correlates with what I've read in his book, and elsewhere. I just wish he'd focus on those who are hypertensive in the vid, and how to safely increase, but then there would be many variables there. But he did say moderate, so I think keeping track of my pressures and all of my lytes will help. I'll leave the rest up to my PCP (with my input, of course).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    @RalfLott, thank you for the short vid. It correlates with what I've read in his book, and elsewhere. I just wish he'd focus on those who are hypertensive in the vid, and how to safely increase, but then there would be many variables there. But he did say moderate, so I think keeping track of my pressures and all of my lytes will help. I'll leave the rest up to my PCP (with my input, of course).

Yes, I can see your point. As you've figured out, they're are a ton of individual variations with BP, as with other key metrics.

With your level of engagement, you should be able to stay on top of things. ;)

I haven't found myself to be a very good n=1 scientist, as my self-experiments often defy reproduction..... Hrrmmph.

Knocking on wood, however, I haven't noticed any increase in BP since I started keto. It's stayed fairly steady around 90-115/60-70 on 40mg of Lisinopril (recently switched to Ramipril for reputed CVD prevention...), regardless of sodium intake.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    So does the recommended salt intake of 3000 to 5000 mg a day while enjoying keto make any difference when considering the total amount of calories someone takes in in a day?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RAC56 wrote: »
    So does the recommended salt intake of 3000 to 5000 mg a day while enjoying keto make any difference when considering the total amount of calories someone takes in a day?

Nope. You still need it even if fasting.