Low Carb Runners (Rant)

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
Are there any other runners here?

As race season is getting started, I can't help but be reminded of the old school idea that all runners must constantly feed carbs. Of course I'm doing just fine as a fat adapted runner, but I can't help but be reminded of this fact as I look at descriptions of runs. Donuts and chocolate milk were offered to participants in the description of a run I was considering recently. Instead I plan to sign up for a race that day where pancakes are offered during the run (I hope there is sausage as well, since I won't be eating pancakes). The challenging trail run I'm doing on 4/1 has soup of some sort. I'm guessing it will contain a lot of potatoes or other high carb ingredients. Don't even get me started on the beer runs...

I know I'm better off for skipping these foods, but I feel a bit left out sometimes. Anyone else?

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I do the vineyard runs. Fewer carbs in wine and most of the fruit producers distill as well. :smiley:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I would not consider myself a true runner. First, I didn't start until I was 38. Second, I only rotate it in my workouts so that means I will do it for maybe 3-4 months total in the year. I will do the occasional 5k, but that is my limit in terms of races. For workouts, I have gotten as high as 7-8 miles.

As to your rant, I never understood the beer at the end. Even when I used to regularly drink beer, this didn't make sense as it just makes me more dehydrated. Besides, they generally only provided light beers or maybe a lager. I prefer my beer with a bit more flavor - bock, porter, stout, scotch ale, etc.

I do sometimes feel like I'm missing out with the snacks/food. We all pay the same amount to run and the food is included in that. It feels like I should get a discount if I'm not going to eat the carbage. To combat that, I decided I was only going to run races where I really wanted to support the charity that was benefiting. That way, it didn't feel like a total rip-off.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I run distance but I generally don't gaf if they offer a bunch of crap because I don't fuel in race anyway, makes me want to vomit. I eye-rolled hard when Banff Marathon emailed me about VIP features on offer and they were basically carb fueling items and a finish line beer though.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a few years now, but this is my first low carb year!