Metabolism Temperature being cold question

Options
Another post had me thinking. I have never heard of the low temp connection. I am always freezing. I am 220 lbs so it's weird. My temp usually runs 97ish. I've resetting for ages and even took a chill break from November to January. Didn't go hog wild but was on vacation and with the holidays i didn't do any lifting. I'm wondering if my metabolism is slower then I know. I haven't weighed since August but Ive definitely put on some fat. I just go off my Fitbit for TDEE which is pretty close to your calculator. I know I have To increase my weight lifting. I'm a beginner and only work out at home but I'm not lifting Barbie weights either. Anyway... Is putting on muscle the only way to speed up metabolism? Or will continuing to eating at TDEE help? Trust me under eating is never the problem! I did a reset in November 2015 then tried to cut last summer but wasn't ready. I've eaten over 2000 cal since nov 2015. I did spent 20+ years yo yoing which did include under eating.

Replies

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    IMO, the best way to burn more calories is to increase your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis). Basically, move more. Walk around more. Park farther away from the door (or walk instead of driving, if that's feasible). Putz around the kitchen/house tidying up or prepping food or doing anything that has you standing up instead of sitting down. Fidget.

A big part of the rationale behind "eat more" and testing your TDEE by increasing calories is that we subconsciously move less when we eat less. Ideally, we also subconsciously move more when we eat more (giving our body energy to do so). There is, of course, a limit to that or nobody would ever get fat.

But you can also consciously move more. If I didn't get a lot of NEAT every day, I wouldn't get to eat nearly as much as I do. I think it's worth it.

(This isn't exactly increasing metabolism, but I think it's really more an increase in calorie burn that you're looking for.)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    When your body is trying to adapt to conserve calories for more needed things - keep you warm is on the list of things that is not done or not much - well unless that reaches dangerous then it will of course.

Since metabolism is really ONLY the most base functions - yes more LBM (which includes muscle, but water also) is the only way to speed it up. The repair process for muscle does too. Or being sick and immune system in over drive, ect.
    But you have control over the 3 other things - NEAT mentioned above, TEF (calories from processing food), EAT (Exercise calories).
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input!!!