Cheat meals?

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
I've only been doing keto for 2 weeks now. But I'm going to a market that I haven't been to in years. They have delicious carbs everywhere. Basically I'm wondering how bad it would screw me over to eat an apple fritter. Lol. I won't be going back for years likely and I do want to have exception days for special occasions. What should I do...

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks in, I'm not sure I'd want to risk it just yet. I'd try and wait a month or two before flirting with extra carbs. However, I shouldn't really talk, I had a cheat meal this morning.

Stupid sandwich wrap, and it wasn't even that good. I didn't feel like cooking and it was there and I felt like a sandwich. I don't feel guilty about it though. It reminded me that all the stuff I'm 'missing' isn't actually that great. And I'm sure it'll be another 6 months before the next time I feel like a sandwich lol.

I guess my point is, if you do decide to go off-script, enjoy it and don't beat yourself up over it afterwards. But try not to make it a routine?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it isn't worth it. I had two weeks done with success and had a cheat meal... cheat day... cheat week... it never ended.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Thanks guys. The way I'm looking at it is I've stuck to this for 2 weeks now without so much as a craving. I don't miss anything I used to eat, because I enjoy what I eat now. Nothing I can eat usually is worth going off this for. The fritters are just WAYYY too good. And I know that I will stick to it after. It's a lot less daunting too, knowing I can very occasionally have carbs and sugar, rather than never again. It is just bad timing, as it's only been 2 weeks. I think I'll have the damn fritter and go right back to it until like, Christmas lol.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm going to predict that you don't feel well after eating it and have regret...
    this may create a change in your mind where you decide you don't need to allow exceptions. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    From my experience, it isn't worth it. I had two weeks done with success and had a cheat meal... cheat day... cheat week... it never ended.
    @food_lover16 - Are you back on the wagon?
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    I've only been doing keto for 2 weeks now. But I'm going to a market that I haven't been to in years. They have delicious carbs everywhere. Basically I'm wondering how bad it would screw me over to eat an apple fritter. Lol. I won't be going back for years likely and I do want to have exception days for special occasions. What should I do...

@hmikkola92, I think you have your answer!

(Unless you're imagining you're the one in a thousand who can embrace temptation just once.... ;))

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    And don't let thoughts of an apple fritter make you forget your feelings just a day or two ago...
    Thanks guys. I have 100lbs to lose to be content. And then I could lose 40 more to be slim. I mostly just want it to be as quick as possible. I know it will slow down eventually, but i don't want to hinder my progress for a few bites of dark chocolate or fruit. I just sometimes drool a little when I think of sweets, my weakness

Keep in mind too, you don't have to eat the whole thing to have its taste, but once it hits your tongue, you've activated the addictive mechanism that will do everything in its power to prevent you from stopping at just a taste.

You're not fat adapted so cheating this soon will throw a wrench in adaptation. I'm not even saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying make the choice fully aware.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    And don't let thoughts of an apple fritter make you forget your feelings just a day or two ago...

Keep in mind too, you don't have to eat the whole thing to have its taste, but once it hits your tongue, you've activated the addictive mechanism that will do everything in its power to prevent you from stopping at just a taste.

You're not fat adapted so cheating this soon will throw a wrench in adaptation. I'm not even saying you shouldn't do it, I'm just saying make the choice fully aware.

Second what @Sunny_Bunny_ said above. I know it may seem like I'm picking on you. I'm not (honestly!); however, I've been where you are right now once upon a time too and because you are likely not fat adapted at this point, eating that apple fritter will likely start you on the slippery slope to falling off the wagon...and you've only just gotten on.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. The way I'm looking at it is I've stuck to this for 2 weeks now without so much as a craving. I don't miss anything I used to eat, because I enjoy what I eat now. Nothing I can eat usually is worth going off this for. The fritters are just WAYYY too good. And I know that I will stick to it after. It's a lot less daunting too, knowing I can very occasionally have carbs and sugar, rather than never again. It is just bad timing, as it's only been 2 weeks. I think I'll have the damn fritter and go right back to it until like, Christmas lol.

BTW.... If I were to indulge in a high carb treat like that, then I would take some kind of fiber supplement right before the indulgence & then follow up with an intense workout later that same day (or for the next several days in a row). I'm NOT saying that it will make it alright or anything, but that's just what I would do personally.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I'm trying to quit smoking too, and you can't have "just one". It starts the whole thing over again. It's torturing yourself. Bleh I wish I could just stop having a little fat kid in my head.
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had a strawberry milkshake from cold stone creamery a couple weeks in...then I binged the entire weekend. I had no self control. I regretted it so much. I gained back weight and it took me a solid 2 weeks for the scale to get back down to where I was before. I felt like garbage for an entire week after eating that crap, heart burn, diarrhea, anxiety. I wanted that milkshake so bad and I binged because I just wasn't satisfied. The milkshake didn't make me all warm and fuzzy like I thought it would, it didn't even taste as good as I had imagined. I say it's not worth it, I definitely learned that lesson the hard way.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Knowing what your triggers are snd why you want to eat what you want is so important. Its knowledge that for me has taken a long time to learn and knowledge I still suss out. I think the term "mindful" is terribly over used and rarely used appropriately but in this case, it really is about mindful eating.

Why do I want it? Tradition? Feelings of deprivation? Habit? I find if I can honestly answer the question I'm better able to make a clear headed decision,about the food and not just a reaction to the food.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I'm still trying. I am really struggling to get through the first three days. There's always a reason.. stomach bug, kidney infection, trip out of town.... birthday. I've been trying to figure out the mental/emotional part so I can get through the sugar withdrawals.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've learned the hard way over the past few months that even a bit of sugar leads to a binge, for me. There's this barrier in my brain that gets broken, as soon as I eat that first bite, I'm already planning what I'm going to binge eat next, because I've already been switched out of ketosis.

My mind playing tricks on me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've shared this short 16 minute video in this forum before. Perhaps this an appropriate thread to share it again. I'll suggest some folks might want to bookmark it and listen to it many times for each time you actually listen, you might hear something different especially when you are in the depths of fighting thoughts/feelings/cravings/etc. It can be one of the many tools in a toolbox that help those who give more value/power to food than food really has. It is just food. Hope someone/several hear the message of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5TIpQsOAHU

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I'm still trying. I am really struggling to get through the first three days. There's always a reason.. stomach bug, kidney infection, trip out of town.... birthday. I've been trying to figure out the mental/emotional part so I can get through the sugar withdrawals.

Have you tried mentally rebranding sweets as Drano?