Is Auto-Immune Insulin Resistance A Thing?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    IDK. I am not sure how that would work given the resistance is at the individual cell level.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't just have insulin resistance. I started having identical reactions with ketones/keto down the road with high calorie intake, even if it was 90%+ fats. So I think it is called cellular energy resistance, though it's not a "thing" I've found much of any research on, so maybe because it isn't just isolated thing? I looked in Postprandial Somnolence Auto-Immune, and it all came back crazy, too. Just digging a rabbit hole...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I spend lots of time in rabbit holes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I lean to YES because I am starting to see more and more Auto-Immue connections in more and more diseases/conditions.

diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/64/6/1886
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    This looks like a Q for @midwesterner85, though I'm not sure just what the question is.

Autoimmune diabetes (type 1 or LADA) destroys insulin-producing beta cells. But a significant minority of T1Ds will also develop resistance to the required exogenous insulin.

Helpful?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any mechanisms where autoimmune conditions directly cause insulin resistance.

LADA is not quite relevant except that it is often misunderstood. In fact, LADA is type 1; but was labeled as separate from type 1 in order to mask a lot of misunderstanding in the medical community, IMO. Because the autoimmune response is usually slower when it happens in older (generally adults) patients, the symptoms are often mistaken as type 2. Physicians were misdiagnosing these type 1's as having type 2. I believe it was easier for the medical community to come up with a new term rather than admit how common this was.

A lot of type 1's do develop insulin resistance, but this has been a phenomenon mostly in the past 10-15 years. I would assume this is related to the increased prevalence of obesity among the population as a whole, which includes the type 1 community. However, the timing also matches with the introduction of the newer insulin types. That doesn't mean much, but just is my observation that shortly after newer formulations (beyond regular and NPH) became common use; there seemed to be an increase in double diabetes cases. It's probably nothing, but maybe there is a link between the various newer insulin types and an increased prevalence of double diabetes.