Substitue for Bread

Options
Lisidy
Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
Hi VSGers,

I'm looking for some variety in my lunch routine. I read this blog where the writer often has this veggie sandwich for lunch. It looks so good each time I see her post about it, but I know the bread won't work for me. What would you use in place of the bread if you were to make this sandwich?

5idpag9wtfay.jpg

FYI: The sandwich has kale or spinach, hummus, cucumbers, onion, avocado, carrots, tomato, all on Ezekiel bread.

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I usually do the cloud bread or 90 second bread with almond flour. I follow a low-carb lifestyle and these substitutions work for me but what kind of lifestyle do you follow? If you want a veggie you could always use a romaine leaf.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe online for low carb tortillas made with ground up pork rinds instead of flour, a little time consuming to make, but i would make a big batch and freeze them between sheets of wax paper so they don't stick together and use them one at a time. Also, I used low fat cream cheese and it worked fine.

https://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/02/08/pork-rind-tortillas/
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    ^Yep, lettuce leaves would work, or there are low-carb wraps out there that aren't bad. Flat Out is pretty decent flavor and texture-wise.

@jcavanna2 has mentioned ThinSlim products in some other threads. http://www.thinslimfoods.com/
    They have a sampler pack so you can test out a bunch of their products if you want. The plain bread is a little cardboardy in flavor, but it makes decent toast. Not sure if I would use it for a sandwich. I haven't tried any of their other bread flavors so can't speak to those.
  • Lisidy
    Options
    @Lizakabibbis - I'm not sure what type of lifestyle I follow. I'm three months out from surgery and I'm still figuring out what works for me. I haven't been eating bread, rice or pasta to avoid those carbs and because they sit heavy on the couple of occasions where I've tried a bite. What does following a low-carb lifestyle look like for you?
  • Lisidy
    Options
    I'll try making it a lettuce wrap. Maybe I'll just pack all the ingredients and assemble it at work so it doesn't have time to get soggy.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the Thin Slim pasta. I think the plain bread is not the greatest but if you toast the bread, toast, grilled cheese etc it is pretty decent
  • Lizakabibbis
    Options
    @Lisidy sorry, I checked out yesterday and never seemed to check back in!
    A day for me usually looks like this -
    coffee w/heavy cream (before gym)
    1/2 a premier protein shake w/coffee (after gym)
    coconut pancakes and an egg (breakfast)
    2oz deli meat and one cheese stick (snack)
    2-3oz roasted chicken and a green veggie (lunch
    1oz mixed nuts and cucumbers (snack 2)
    2-3oz hamburger meat w/cheese and pickles on the side (dinner)
    Atkins bar (snack 3)
  • Lizakabibbis
    Options
    and the 90 second keto bread is just 3TBL almond flour, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1.5T of butter - cooked in the microwave (I use a ramekin) for 90 seconds. It's high fat but low carb.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bib lettuce or low carb bread made with almond or coconut flour.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I just saw this recipe, I am going to have to try it!
    http://lexiscleankitchen.com/2013/07/30/everything-bagel-cauliflower-rolls/
  • Lisidy
    Options
    @garber6th - Thanks for sharing.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out Thin Slim Foods - I really enjoy their low carb pasta. Their breads are decent but I prefer the wheat to the plain and definitely toasted!

They have plenty of other types of products so I would check them out. You can get their sampler pack for 1/2 off the first time you get it so it will be $20 and it includes a package of bread and pasta among other things.
  • jasperandlady1960
    jasperandlady1960 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I make all the fixings for my sandwich and I either use lettuce in place of bread or eat it like a salad.