If you were to recommend just *one* book re LCHF

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
I have a friend in her 60s who has Type 2 diabetes and would like to improve that and lose about 15 lbs. I told her about LCHF in the past and about this group (here and Pinterest is where I get all my LCHF/keto info and recipes!) but she is so not tech-savvy and found all the info a little overwhelming. She wants to try LCHF again and asked me if there's a good book I could recommend that would tell her the basics of what she needs to know, how to eat, etc. I haven't read any of the books; what would you all recommend if you had to pick just one that would be relatively clear and easy to follow?

ETA: Just one website that's clear and easy to follow would be helpful, too, if you can't think of a good book. Just trying to make this more doable for her since I know most of us have sorted through a lot of info.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore might be the best for someone that is not wanting to get real deep in the weeds of the science, but get a solid understanding of Keto.

For diabetes specific, Diabetes Epidemic & You by Dr Joseph Kraft isn't necessarily LCHF, but it lays the groundwork for understanding why cutting carbs is the only real way to combat T2.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I haven't read a lot of books but I would second Keto Clarity as I felt it was written in a pretty understandable way, so that you didn't need a medical degree to understand it. :)
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer because so many books out there that have that information, are cookbooks, and none are specifically labeled "for diabetes". They're either paleo, ketogenic, low-carb, etc. And even then, unless it's in your hands and you can thumb through, it's hard to see if it's any good, because as with doctors, some of these authors don't know what they're talking about and rely heavily on sugar and carbs.

One author I like, is Maria Emmerich, although you have to sift through her books. The books I like from her use ingredients that I can buy at the grocery store. I have her "Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking. Another author that could be worth looking at is Dana Carpender.

If your friend wants to look at a website, the Diet Doctors website is all about the low-carb diet, and they have a page specifically for diabetes.

Youtube also has some good information. Dr. Sarah Hallberg has a series of video explaining low-carb for diabetes and how much you need to eat:

The least she needs to know is to cut out all processed carbs and starchy vegetables, along with filling her plate with 3/4 vegetables and 1/4 meat, and go from there, and start eating more fat. Most of that info could fit on one page, tbh.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Dr Bernsteins Diabetes Solutions and his Diabetes University videos on YouTube.
    Doesn't get better than that.
    I'd recommend for her to stay clear of the regurgitative misinformation fueled groups all over the place. They just confuse the hell out of people.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I second dietdoctor.com for a basic, easy to implement explanation. Also "The New Atkins for a New You" is a solid, well explained program. If she has a need to get over a fear of fat as I had to do (as another 60 year old), "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz is an excellent read.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein Diabetes Solution. The best book for T2Ds. Ever. Love him.

If they don't like reading, I would go to the videos. He has a ton. There are a few on his history that are amazing.

Keto Clarity is an easy read.

Sarah Hallberg's video mentioned above is very very good. Once you get past her voice. Great enthusiasm but the voice...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

If they don't like reading, I would go to the videos. He has a ton. There are a few on his history that are amazing.

Sarah Hallberg's video mentioned above is very very good. Once you get past her voice. Great enthusiasm but the voice...

So I am not the only one who had to really struggle to get past her voice.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I would add the practical New Atkins for a New You, by Phinney, Volek and Westman. It features clearly-explained basic keto principles, as well as pages of sample meal plans.

The other stuff is great, though, especially Bernstein's insights - which include strong reasons to view anything put out by the ADA with great skepticism.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If she doesn't mind science, I found Dr. Jason Fung's book The Obesity Code to be a fascinating look at diabetes and why we get fat and stay fat.

I also enjoyed New Atkins for a New You, as it does a good job of explaining what you should be eating and why.

One of these days I'll have to read Keto Clarity, but I still have a stack of books on my bedside table that never seems to get any smaller!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the recommendations, everyone! Just passed them on to her.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    If she doesn't mind science, I found Dr. Jason Fung's book The Obesity Code to be a fascinating look at diabetes and why we get fat and stay fat.

I also enjoyed New Atkins for a New You, as it does a good job of explaining what you should be eating and why.

One of these days I'll have to read Keto Clarity, but I still have a stack of books on my bedside table that never seems to get any smaller!

The Obesity Code. Easy fun read.

I second this one too. https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Dr. Perlmutter's Grain Brain -- http://amzn.to/2mVtlOL -- for me it was almost like a "scared straight" result. He really makes a good case.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I started out with Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets, she also has a diabetic related book. I agree with the New Atkins for a New You and Dr.Bernstein's book is wonderful.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I started out with Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets, she also has a diabetic related book. I agree with the New Atkins for a New You and Dr.Bernstein's book is wonderful.

Good catch! Jenny Ruhl's books are really good, comprehensive intros that don't get the credit they deserve.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As most of you know by now my main focus is just to lower my C-Reactive Protein (CRP) levels. I ordered and have scanned The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program To Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies and Asthma by Jack Challem.

I am pleased with it but one needs to keep in mind it was published in 2003 and and he writes in common terms, not like a medical text book. The WOE in it is basically LCHF. I spent the big bucks ($10) for a new version paper back version since I expected it would be a Keeper.

Below is a 2014 article by Jack Challem that will show you his WOE mindset.

betternutrition.com/high-fat-ketone-diet-cancer/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. All science, no fluff.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    <Refresh>
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

So I am not the only one who had to really struggle to get past her voice.

Good grief, no. It's really hard on the ear... I feel like writing to her and saying "Thank you so much for some absolutely stirling advice on T2D and how to deal with it! Let me reciprocate by giving you the details of a couple of really good voice coaches I know...."
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. All science, no fluff.

I wish he would get a publisher. He's all self published so he's not in any stores up here. Or more importantly, any libraries in my entire province. :(