Thicken gravy

Options
2t9nty
2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
If I have gravy thickened with approximately 1 tablespoon of corn starch with the evening meal, my glucose levels are high afterwards and also the next morning. I count the carbs in my log, and so the carbs are not going over for the day. I understand that this is the type of carb that causes this response, and so I am looking for alternatives.

I have had great success mixing some HWC with pan drippings if I am making gravy for myself. My daughter does not eat dairy, and so if she will be eating what has been cooked, this is not an option.

Is there something better than corn starch to use here?

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I made some brown gravy (from beef roast drippings) the other night using Xantham Gum and it worked out pretty well. I had read different things online about not to use too much or it would become beef jello so it took me awhile to get it thickened because I was adding tiny amounts and waiting for it to thicken.

But it didn't seem to affect the flavor at all and seemed pretty close to corn starch thickened gravy.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've used xanthan gum here too, and I second the tip to use it sparingly and take your time. Once you go too far it turns to gloop. Can still be tasty edible gloop, but the texture is off.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I will look into this. It just needs to be thick enough to stick to the cauliflower rice.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get it that thick with the xantham gum and it's pretty readily available anymore as it is a gluten free product.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just cook it down longer to drive off more water (liquid) is thinner than "gravey" but doesnt get a weird texture.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Reduction and a tiny bit of butter is what I use, but if she doesn't eat dairy at all, then xantham gum, as stated added cautiously should do it.

You might give potato starch a try, it doesn't bother some people in tiny amounts and doesn't take much to do what you want done.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have used xantham gum for thickening with success. If you're going to use it on a regular basis, you may want to dedicate a salt shaker to the cause. It's hard to add that rascally stuff by hand in small enough increments that you don't get globs.

I've also had success thickening sauces and gravies with pureed vegetables. Here you have to take care not to add so much that your sauce/gravy turns into cream of something soup.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yes, there are lots of other options out there: Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Coconut Flour, Lupin Flour, Arrowroot (this is is a bit higher in carbs than the others mentioned), etc. Also LC-Foods Corporation also sells a couple of acceptable products too: Thick n Saucy and Thick n Potatoes. They used to carry a couple more called Thick n Corn Starchy but I think they might have discontinued this one for some reason. You can also try a little bit of konjac glucomannan fiber or inulin chicory root powder or a combination of the two.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've used thick sour cream with the drippings of the pan and it makes a tasty gravy.

Here's a trick with a hole in it as my hubby says. When using Xanthan Gum, mix it in oil or fat first, before mixing into a liquid. It seems Xanthan Gum can get clumpy very, very easily because it starts thickening the minute you dump it into a liquid. I find it thickens before I even have a chance to stir and then my gravy is lumpy. And because you use such small amounts, it's kind of hard to stir in evenly anyway. But...if you mix it in oil or fat first it slows down the process. Because the oil coats it, and keeps it from touching liquid and thickening, until it gets warm enough to melt off the fat or oil. Works like a charm every time. And who doesn't love adding a little extra fat and oil to tasty things up a bit?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    roast ROOT veggies, beets, carrots, celery, onions, pansnips, and puree them into the drippings.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    I've used xanthan gum here too, and I second the tip to use it sparingly and take your time. Once you go too far it turns to gloop. Can still be tasty edible gloop, but the texture is off.

Great word.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Yes, there are lots of other options out there: Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Coconut Flour, Lupin Flour, Arrowroot (this is is a bit higher in carbs than the others mentioned), etc. Also LC-Foods Corporation also sells a couple of acceptable products too: Thick n Saucy and Thick n Potatoes. They used to carry a couple more called Thick n Corn Starchy but I think they might have discontinued this one for some reason. You can also try a little bit of konjac glucomannan fiber or inulin chicory root powder or a combination of the two.

Whoa. That's quite a list of tricks! The plot thickens.....
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    The plot thickens.....

heh...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I loved the paprika chicken with sour cream gravy from I Breathe I'm Hungry. I'd think that could work well for other recipes, too.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »

Whoa. That's quite a list of tricks! The plot thickens.....

@RalfLot ...(heh) yep, I definitely know my way around an LC kitchen and have the tips/tricks to prove it. ;)
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    My wife bought some xanthan gum, and we have tried it once. We might have used a little too much. It is a good thickener though.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use arrowroot - it doesn't take very much to make things thicken, just a pinch.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I usually use half and half arrowroot and quinoa flour in small amounts, along with reducing liquid and blending in vegetables with my immersion blender, depending on what I am making. Add a bit of butter in at the end.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    All these cautions about xanthan gum, but not guidelines as to where to start?

So, like, 1 tsp in 1 cup of gravy?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    @kirkor I just eyeball it as I shake it in but I'd guess I'm using about 1/4 teaspoon in 1 to 2 cups of gravy.

There was a suggestion up-thread to put it in a salt-shaker, that's exactly what I did and it makes it easy to apply it sparingly.