Weekly Check-In: March 19-25

Options
TristansHawk
TristansHawk Posts: 114 Member
The weather looks like it will be a little better this week than last so I am hoping to do more walking.
Also, I am trying to convince myself to use some of the weight machines at the gym. We will see...

Replies

• TristansHawk
    Options
    The weather looks like it will be a little better this week than last so I am hoping to do more walking.
    Also, I am trying to convince myself to use some of the weight machines at the gym. We will see...

So I did it you guys! I got over my fear and went to the gym at 10pm last night and no one was there. So I was free to experiment with the machines and got a full body work out in. The have instructions on them so they are easy to figure out. I think I found a new thing that I love to do <3
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    @TristansHawk high five!

Going to be a beautiful week here so I plan on going to the track a lot this week. Hope everyone has a fabulous week!
  • kefalo
    kefalo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So I'm finally back after several days away for my sister's wedding and to say I didn't stick to my diet while I was away is an understatement. I just went to the gym (I really had to push myself) and did exercise bike and weights and it really hurt but I'm glad I went. Too scared to weigh myself!!
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    On the road traveling this week. One night in Seattle and three nights in Portland. My goal/challenge for this week is to make sure I get a workout in everyday and make good food choices when traveling between destinations.
  • TristansHawk
    Options
    So, just an update because I am really at a loss right now. On Thursday night, I ate a catered dinner and a cookie. After the cookie, I noticed my tongue was tingling. As an emergency responder for my university, I immediately told my friends I was having an allergic reaction (never had one before in my 28 years!). By the time we got to the hospital, which is a 3 minute walk from the door of my school, thank God, my tongue was swollen, my lips were swollen and I could feeling tingling heading down my throat. They doctor thinks I am allergic to tree nuts, gave me Benedryl and a script for an Epipen. I stupidly went back and finished my volunteering and went to get my Epipen at 10pm. I was in bed at 11 and took a Benedryl (as I had eaten the whole cookie and it would still be in my system).

At 1:40am, I woke up and went to the loo, then realized something was wrong when I was more awake. I looked at my arms and the were swollen, so I went and sat on my bed to calm down and figure out how bad the reaction was. I immediately fumbled to arm the Epipen. I could barely breathe and then I couldn't breathe at all when I finally managed to stab myself with the Epi.

I woke up a fellow resident and we went back to the hospital. The doctor was in shock that I had such a strong rebound reaction (they are rare apparently? and only associated with severe allergies). He gave me Prednisone and now I have 2 more Epipens.

I am fine now, but it was so scary that last night I kept waking up gasping for breath thinking I couldn't breathe (but I could). It was horrible!

I have an appointment with my GP and they will refer me to an allergist to know exactly what I am allergic to. So I am currently avoiding ALL nuts. I am frustrated because nuts are in EVERYTHING or can come into contact with so many things. Even my lip balm has shea butter. I can't eat so much of the food that I have at home and right now am eating bagels that I know are safe.

This is going to be such a learning curve. I am actually afraid to eat, because I don't know the exact allergy :( Apparently, getting in to an allergist can take up to 6 weeks!

Sorry for the wall of text, but I had to vent!
  • bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    That had to be a very scary thing to go through. So glad you are feeling better. If you can get a list of ingredients in the catered food & cookie and take it with you to the allergist maybe it can help them pin point what you are allergic to and also help you know what to stay away from until you find out. So sorry you had to go through something like that. Hope you find your answers soon!
  • TristansHawk
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    That had to be a very scary thing to go through. So glad you are feeling better. If you can get a list of ingredients in the catered food & cookie and take it with you to the allergist maybe it can help them pin point what you are allergic to and also help you know what to stay away from until you find out. So sorry you had to go through something like that. Hope you find your answers soon!

Thanks! I already went and got a lost of ingredients (my mom suggested the same thing lol).
  • kefalo
    kefalo Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about this Tristan! This sounds very scary and a bit of a bother that you have to wait so long to see the allergist. I do hope they can find some good solutions for you when you do see them, so this never happens again.