Vitamin D UV lamp??

Options

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think it's a reasonable way to get light exposure.
    I believe @KnitOrMiss has benefited from using a similar lamp.
    I'm thinking more and more all the time how sun exposure is so valuable to overall health.
    On any warmer day, I'm making an effort to just sit outside for at least 15 minutes for no other reason than to just soak up some sun. When it's cold I open all the curtains to let in as much light as possible and sit by the window.
    I'm still trying to make it a daily priority. Will be much easier when I can make having my coffee outside every morning the routine
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    When it's cold I open all the curtains to let in as much light as possible and sit by the window.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, our bodies cannot produce vitamin D from sunlight that comes through a closed window although we can get sunburned. It has to do with the type of rays that pass through or get blocked by most glass.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    In Calgary (Western Canada), they won't even test vitamin D anymore at labs, even when ordered by doctors because EVERYONE is low or low normal. LOL I think even in early July we would have to sunbath a couple of hours (naked) to get enough D.

We're the sunniest city in Canada. Sunny about 333 days of the year which is even more than Arizona BUT we get about half of the hours of sunlight and what light we get is weaker from the low angle of the sun. Vitamin D deficiency is a given.

I read that the Natives from around here naturally ate certain animals that were higher in D though.... I wonder if they got enough D from that? And the Inuit too?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If everyone is low on vitamin D kind of makes me think the RDA might be too high? It's not like the gov't and experts get everything right. ;)

Also it might behoove some to get a little vitamin D by spending time outside in cold weather without a coat. Not only will the sun help with mood, bones and fatique, the cold will help with increasing brown fat.

Embrace the ancestor's food and lifestyle. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Or that would pay for a 30-40 year supply of Vitamin D soft gels. :)

At my age and poor health there was no way for me to take the time besides I was out in the sun a lot in the summer which is strong on the KY-TN border.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    In Calgary (Western Canada), they won't even test vitamin D anymore at labs, even when ordered by doctors because EVERYONE is low or low normal. LOL I think even in early July we would have to sunbath a couple of hours (naked) to get enough D.

We're the sunniest city in Canada. Sunny about 333 days of the year which is even more than Arizona BUT we get about half of the hours of sunlight and what light we get is weaker from the low angle of the sun. Vitamin D deficiency is a given.

I read that the Natives from around here naturally ate certain animals that were higher in D though.... I wonder if they got enough D from that? And the Inuit too?

So you do not know your Vit D level? It sounds like malpractice to me especially for those with insulin resistance or diabetes to say nothing about stroke, cancer, heart attack, etc risks.

diabetes.co.uk/food/vitamin-d.html
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

So you do not know your Vit D level? It sounds like malpractice to me especially for those with insulin resistance or diabetes to say nothing about stroke, cancer, heart attack, etc risks.

diabetes.co.uk/food/vitamin-d.html

I had it checked about 5 years ago before they changed the rules. I was a low normal. I have no idea what it is now.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @nvmomketo below is just one source I found with Google but not sure Canadians can use any of these options. As you can read some promote 50 as being the low end of the safe zone.

https://vitamindwiki.com/Low+cost+vitamin+D+Blood+Tests
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    When it's cold I open all the curtains to let in as much light as possible and sit by the window.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, our bodies cannot produce vitamin D from sunlight that comes through a closed window although we can get sunburned. It has to do with the type of rays that pass through or get blocked by most glass.

Seems like I've heard that too. Have no idea how true it is, but it still feels nice on a cold morning when it's too cold to go outside.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I used a light, but it wasn't this intense. I think the biggest part of getting your D is the K2 component, which most docs don't even mention...and then add in the needed stomach acids/digestive enzymes, plus fat pairings for proper absorption.

Recommendation for exposure is roughly 15-30 minutes of direct bright light immediately upon waking, and again between 12-2 or so. This sets up the natural circadian rhythms to allow for the cortisol to taper and the melatonin the rise...
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I keep forgetting I am an whole unit that was very sick. No one thing was going to fix me.

Personally now I realize getting Vitamin D levels into the 75-100 range was job #1. That can not be done safely without K2 I am convinced. It costs little and I think when people understand fixing obesity, any and all hormone concern, mental health, cancer recovery/prevention, etc with Vitamin D levels below 75 is like pissing into the wind.

solar-facts-and-advice.com/benefits-of-vitamin-D.html

I like the doctor in this 8 minute video plus the other info and hyper links.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    thisisms.com/forum/coimbra-high-dose-vitamin-d-protocol-f57/topic27182.html

This is the doctor that I mentioned earlier that uses mega dosages of Vitamin D for major autoimmune disease and where I got a lot of my earlier info about what may be safe dosage. Note those on this protocol are under a doctor's care and being tested for PTH levels as you can read. Read about other factors than the below.

Note: I would not start this protocol blindly. Supplements are not without risks that need to be understood and monitored.

-Other Drugs that interfere with vitamin D absorption

A number of drugs interfere with the absorption or metabolism of vitamin D. Among those that interfere with absorption are the following:

-Antacids
    *Check with your doctor before taking vitamin D supplements if you have digestive problems. The problem may be more serious than just a lack of vitamin D.

-Barbiturates

-Carbamazepine

-Cholestyramine

-Colestipol

-Fosphenytoin

-H2 blockers: Tagamet, Pepcid, Axid, Zantac

-Heparin

-Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy, a combination of three drugs for AIDS

-Isoniazid

-Mineral oil or products containing mineral oil

-Orlistat

-Phenobarbital

-Phenytoin

-Rifampin

-St. John’s wort

-Steroids such as prednisone and cortisol don’t prevent absorption of vitamin D, but they do affect the metabolism of vitamin D so that less active vitamin D is formed.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-Dummies-Alan-L-Rubin/dp/0470891750/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454291906&sr=8-1&keywords=vitamin+d+dummies
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Regarding Vitamin K and Vitamin D, I stumbled across this older paper by Chris Masterjohn (who still seems pretty young to me):

Vitamin D toxicity redefined: vitamin K and the molecular mechanism.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17145139

"The hypothesis presented in this paper proposes the novel understanding that vitamin D exerts toxicity by inducing a deficiency of vitamin K. "
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Taking Vitamin A 12 hours offset from D helps prevent overload. Didn't read the papers, but sigh...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I got my D to double in six months from the 50's to 107. And my doc freaked out about the 107 being too high, so since I'd been using high doses to get it up there, I dialed back some, but I don't think it needs to be much lower...toxicity levels are considering 150 and such...
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I got my D to double in six months from the 50's to 107. And my doc freaked out about the 107 being too high, so since I'd been using high doses to get it up there, I dialed back some, but I don't think it needs to be much lower...toxicity levels are considering 150 and such...

It amazes me how the TOO HIGH number has been going up up up for years now.

I was doing 20K and sometimes 30K units to get mine out of the 20's and into the 90's.

With Dr. Coimbra giving people up to 150K units to reverse MS helped lessen my fear of D3.

One doctor speaking at a medical convention stated all of her patients that had to be hospitalized had very low Vitamin D levels except for a shooting and car accident patients.

The info about low Vitamin D levels prevented medically balancing of other hormones about impossible. I do not understand why the medical profession does not make Vitamin D levels a foundation step in keeping people out of the hospitals?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I was doing 20K and sometimes 30K units to get mine out of the 20's and into the 90's.

With Dr. Coimbra giving people up to 150K units to reverse MS helped lessen my fear of D3.

One doctor speaking at a medical convention stated all of her patients that had to be hospitalized had very low Vitamin D levels except for a shooting and car accident patients.

The info about low Vitamin D levels prevented medically balancing of other hormones about impossible. I do not understand why the medical profession does not make Vitamin D levels a foundation step in keeping people out of the hospitals?

@GaleHawkins - After research, I was doing 40,000 IU with 200 mcg K2, M7... Sometimes I did 2 20K doses, sometimes it was all in the AM. After I got level, I dropped down to 20K once a day, the sometimes 10K, but I started feeling crummy and stuff, so I'm between 15000 IU and 20000 IU now....

21-Jun-11 24 ng/mL
    09-Jul-12 32 ng/mL
    23-Apr-14 46 ng/mL
    30-Oct-14 46 ng/mL (I think this is where I added in K2)
    24-Apr-15 58 ng/mL
    14-Oct-15 38 ng/mL (This was when I switched to a different version that had my doses mixed up)
    15-Apr-16 56.9 ng/ML (started high doses)
    19-Oct-16 107 ng/mL (most recent)

Oldest record numbers were above. In that same June 2011 set of labs, my TSH was the second highest it's ever been recorded as: 4.421 uIU/ML. If I'm not mistaken, that's when I got on thyroid meds...and initially started losing weight. Trigs were 151, HDL was 29. ALT was elevated... Fasting BG was 83, A1C was 4.9%. Crazy!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

@GaleHawkins - After research, I was doing 40,000 IU with 200 mcg K2, M7... Sometimes I did 2 20K doses, sometimes it was all in the AM. After I got level, I dropped down to 20K once a day, the sometimes 10K, but I started feeling crummy and stuff, so I'm between 15000 IU and 20000 IU now....

21-Jun-11 24 ng/mL
    09-Jul-12 32 ng/mL
    23-Apr-14 46 ng/mL
    30-Oct-14 46 ng/mL (I think this is where I added in K2)
    24-Apr-15 58 ng/mL
    14-Oct-15 38 ng/mL (This was when I switched to a different version that had my doses mixed up)
    15-Apr-16 56.9 ng/ML (started high doses)
    19-Oct-16 107 ng/mL (most recent)

Oldest record numbers were above. In that same June 2011 set of labs, my TSH was the second highest it's ever been recorded as: 4.421 uIU/ML. If I'm not mistaken, that's when I got on thyroid meds...and initially started losing weight. Trigs were 151, HDL was 29. ALT was elevated... Fasting BG was 83, A1C was 4.9%. Crazy!

@KnitOrMiss that shows hard it can be to get out Vitamin D level into a very protective zone. Like with me it took awhile but you made it.

Below is a Vit D link with a ton of articles on Vit D and a short summary to see if one is interested in opening the link that I put up on my FB page relative to ALS that was in the news today.

vitamindsociety.org/news.php