Supplements on Keto?

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    BCAA's before workouts (I always workout fasted)
    Vitamin D3/K2 - family history of low levels of D
    CoQ10 - I'm currently on a statin so this is to balance out the statin
    Men's mix with boron, zinc, NOs, etc
    Fish oil

Was taking magnesium for awhile, but quit because I cannot find a level that does not give me severe gas issues. Don't know if this means that I get enough naturally or just that my insides don't want me to take it this way.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @ccdragon - have you tried different FORMS of magnesium? There are SOOO many!

https://forum.bulletproof.com/discussion/2078/bulletproof-magnesium-thread
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss - I will have to check into some alternate forms.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    supplements, ugh, always makes me feel like a drug addict to list them out...

msm + magnesium + boron (carpal tunnel)
    dim + raspberry (perimenopause)
    C + IX + B complex (low iron & vegetarian)
    thyroid activator + thyroid support (hashimotos)
    pychnogenol + calcium + nervous fatigue (general health)

going to add amino acids because I cannot for the life of me seem to eat enough protein and I'm tired of this recurring shoulder injury, hoping that will get it totally healed
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss-thank you very much for your input. I am on many supplements due to having Roux-en-y gastric bypass 17yrs ago. Add to that Graves disease and 2 rounds of thyroid cancer (last was 2013) followed by hypothyroidism. I will be on thyroid hormone for the rest of my life!

Then there's the osteoporosis meds which you can't take with other meds...I'm completely frazzled at the end of the day from trying to keep up with everything, lol.

What I'll do is take everything to the new Endo next month, and he can tell me what he thinks I should do. My meds have always been monitored between my PCP, gastroenterologist, and endocrinologist. The new endo will manage everything.

Got the jump on the heart/vascular thing when I went to the ER a couple months ago with vague chest pains. Everything checks out A-OK, including labs, echo, and stress test.

I will take your advice and do my own research before I see him. Thanks for the links...lots to work on this weekend :)

• Bayluvr
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss ...watched the presentation by Dr. Berg today...SCARY STUFF! I've been taking this calcium/D3 so long, but I will not be continuing it. He's also against the bisphosphonates (I take Fosamax) and I will be stopping that too as I never felt comfortable with it, it has not altered the progression of my osteoporosis, and it makes my shoulder joints ache. I'll present all of this to my new endo, as well as notify my PCP beforehand. I did order Life Extension Super K with advanced K2 (M4 and M7) and already have D3.

Lots more research to do. Thanks for your input and observations.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Any supplement that indicates it may lower my CRP levels (C-Reactive Protein) I take a triple dosage. :)

The last addition was Pycnogenol. Below it the post I made tonight of my research on Pycnogenol today.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10525994/anyone-with-hashis-or-any-auto-immune-condition/p3
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_

Thanks for chart , never saw before.

OP --- you're getting great responses, I take D3, K2, eqv5zxgfw9dj.jpg
    magnesium, omegas, PRE-natals, Geritol and Centrum Silver. Sometimes also CoQ10.

Most days I keep the carbs right around 50 grams.
    :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss ...watched the presentation by Dr. Berg today...SCARY STUFF! I've been taking this calcium/D3 so long, but I will not be continuing it. He's also against the bisphosphonates (I take Fosamax) and I will be stopping that too as I never felt comfortable with it, it has not altered the progression of my osteoporosis, and it makes my shoulder joints ache. I'll present all of this to my new endo, as well as notify my PCP beforehand. I did order Life Extension Super K with advanced K2 (M4 and M7) and already have D3.

Lots more research to do. Thanks for your input and observations.

@Bayluvr - I'm sorry the presentation scared you as much as it did me, but I'm glad that it supports your own personal bent in how you felt about the treatment!!!! Trust your instincts, right?!?! I hope you do great from here, and that your new Endo and your existing PCP can work together now to make your progress improve all around!
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss...No problem at all. I needed to be scared enough to switch things around. I'm just glad I found out before I suffered any really ill effects. Who knew?

Thanks for the well wishes, and I'll make sure they get it together :)
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, just because I'm trying to stay below 15 carbs a day, so not much room for veggies. And b100 complex
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://stopagingnow.com/acidrelief145

Folks this is really an info ad so do NOT buy.

The reason I am posting this recent find is that our stomach acid levels need to be normal (not low) if we are going to be able to digest the nutrients that we eat. Swallowing supplements does not mean they are automatically getting into the blood steam either.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    <Refresh>
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    Options
    https://stopagingnow.com/acidrelief145

Folks this is really an info ad so do NOT buy.

The reason I am posting this recent find is that our stomach acid levels need to be normal (not low) if we are going to be able to digest the nutrients that we eat. Swallowing supplements does not mean they are automatically getting into the blood steam either.

@GaleHawkins - that is so true. No matter what my supplements were, until I added some ACV and digestive enzymes to the mix, I was fighting an uphill battle. Generally, my opinion is that if you have more than one nutritional deficiency independent of specific health condition, you likely have a stomach acid deficiency as well. One thing **MIGHT** be random. A collection of this is not.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    I take a multivitamin, just because I'm trying to stay below 15 carbs a day, so not much room for veggies. And b100 complex

Hmm. You've asked about nuts, berries, and apple fritters..... one might almost think you don't like veggies! ;)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

BTW, 1 hard boiled egg has 1.5 mcg B12 (25% RDA) as well as other vitamins. A 4 oz porterhouse steak has nearly double that B12 if it is trimmed lean.

Most people don't realize how many vitamins are in animal products - primarily in the fat. This is one reason this WOE is actually more nutritious than many versions of what I see in vegetarians who primarily get their foods from grains (bread, pasta, crackers, etc.).

This is a screenshot of nutritional info for 100 g (3.57 oz) of porterhouse according to http://nutritiondata.self.com

gn67fkgak1pd.png

If you were to get grass fed and not trim all the fat off of it, the fat quality would improve dramatically as would the amount of the vitamins.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    @KnitOrMiss-thank you very much for your input. I am on many supplements due to having Roux-en-y gastric bypass 17yrs ago. Add to that Graves disease and 2 rounds of thyroid cancer (last was 2013) followed by hypothyroidism. I will be on thyroid hormone for the rest of my life!

Then there's the osteoporosis meds which you can't take with other meds...I'm completely frazzled at the end of the day from trying to keep up with everything, lol.

What I'll do is take everything to the new Endo next month, and he can tell me what he thinks I should do. My meds have always been monitored between my PCP, gastroenterologist, and endocrinologist. The new endo will manage everything.

Got the jump on the heart/vascular thing when I went to the ER a couple months ago with vague chest pains. Everything cohecks out A-OK, including labs, echo, and stress test.

HI will take your advice and do my own research before I see him. Thanks for the links...lots to work on this weekend :)

How's it going?
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hmm. You've asked about nuts, berries, and apple fritters..... one might almost think you don't like veggies! ;)

Lol, truth be told. I don't. :D
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I am working to pull together info on the 25+ vitamins and supplements that I have tested on myself since 2014 so should something happen to me the family will have the results of my efforts over the past three years that they can use going forward. When that comes together I will share the list.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://ketolivewell.com/supplements/

Here is the list of supplements that I promised with some research links about them. Setting up my first website every has been more of a learning curve than I desired. :)

In time I will try to talk more as to my logic for each one but you may figure that out when you read some of the research especially from greenmedinfo.com and examine.com