Do you hate the labels

Options
TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
Spent 5 minutes in the supermarket last night reading the labels of soup cans and being depressed by how many carbs were in them. I ended up walking out with one I didn't want and cursing the food industry.

Had the same problem then when buying some yoghurt. Some of the carb levels are ridiculous.

Do you just toughen up, stop reading the labels or stick to a small range of foods?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Spent 5 minutes in the supermarket last night reading the labels of soup cans and being depressed by how many carbs were in them. I ended up walking out with one I didn't want and cursing the food industry.

Had the same problem then when buying some yoghurt. Some of the carb levels are ridiculous.

Do you just toughen up, stop reading the labels or stick to a small range of foods?

Yogurt will always have carbs. It's lactose. Nothing you can do about that. Granted, some companies do add further sugar, or fruits that will contribute.

I generally only ever used canned soups for refeeds, but then realized that the sodium in them screwed me then, so they've been abandoned entirely. If I want some split pea soup or sweet potato stew for a refeed, I'll just make my own.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My main down fall in doing low carb properly has always been the dairy carbs. Giving up dairy isn't something I feel I can do ATM, so I do moderatly low carb. IDK if that would help you or not?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

@TravellerRay - the biggest issue I find is that on pre-made or easy to grab foods, you will ALWAYS encounter carbs of that size. If you want yoghurt, opt for kefir, goat's milk kefir if you can find it. I think it is called pourable yoghurt or something else there, too. It is about a half thickness between yoghurt and milk. consistency. But the taste is similar. I make a gelatin fat bomb that is similar in texture to custard yoghurt... Basically, it's gelatin powder, flavoring, sour cream (soured cream or creme fraiche , and heavy (double) cream. To me, it's got better macros and similar nutritional content.

For soup, I batch cook. Probably my favorite is a sausage and kale cream soup... It freezes well and then I can portion and reheat as I like.

Given the spelling of yoghurt, I'm going to guess you're in Canada or Europe. My experience is that most folks there talk about better options in the deli for pepperoni, salami, sausages, and prepared meats, etc. I'd probably opt for something more like that. Maybe if you let others know where you are, they can suggest the better stores to try or brands to try...
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You were right I am in the UK. My vent is a bit more about the huge number of hidden sugars in the foods I have been buying.

When I am home, I prefer to make chicken and. vegetable soup with a large number of chillies and some curry powder. Food that has a kick :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @TravellerRay - there was a recent thread on suggested grab and go options in the UK. I will scroll back and see if I can find it.

I will just say, be glad that you're there in the UK. I know you folks are getting more and more Americanized products, but FFS, they put sugar in salt over here. It is ridiculous. Beyond ridiculous. Sugar is in EVERYTHING...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I can't seem to find the older conversations that I know are out there, so I started a new thread to hopefully consolidate some good info!

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10531133/uk-grab-go-or-best-brands-discussion-please#latest
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I definitely still read labels, but my kids have both had food allergies so I'm used to reading labels anyway. It can definitely be eye-opening and discouraging at first but I think over time you start to get a better feel for what's more likely to fit your macros.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

I tend to stick to a small range of foods compared to a Standard American Diet but may be a bit more adventurous regarding vegetables and I don't get panicky over a little bit of sugar though I keep it to a pretty extreme minimum. For example, I made dry rub ribs last night using what remained of my usual recipe. The rub recipe happens to have a 1/3 cup of brown sugar in it. Considering it will cover 5 racks of ribs and I'll eat at most, 1/4 of a rack for 3.5 sugar carbs, I just plan for it and make it fit my minimal daily carb allowance. Others justify more than that in their favored 80-90% chocolate bar. We each need to find our path. But yes, it's pretty eye opening to read food labels and I read them.
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You've got to research & remember the keto gems. Sometimes even make your own products because no one manufactures adequate products that are readily available in standard grocery markets...for instance, salad dressing without soy or canola oil, zero carb, and a desirable amount of sodium based on your daily intake (shelf life being a factor why no one makes such a product)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    If I'm traveling I get into food ruts. Especially when I travel for work and It's just me on the road. I know what's easy to find and don't mind a few days of a limited food list. At home it's easier to plan and I love to cook and experiment, but honestly if I objectively look at my food diary I still get into food "routines", particularly during the work week. I put away A LOT of eggs and avocados.