Menopause Hell - I know cos I've been there

Options
AZIZAELLAZIZA
AZIZAELLAZIZA Posts: 68 Member
Hello my lovelies !
I began peri at 45, had my last period at 52. You name a symptom, I had it, and some are permanent in my life. I lost about 35% of my hair, so now I cover up when I go outside, I lost virtually all of my short term memory. I had nite sweats, never ending flashes ( sometimes up to 6 an hour ) extra anxiety. I sucked it up ( grumbling all the way ) as I did not want to take HRT. I am the hottest person on earth now. When I went to the gyno today ( I live in NY ), people were wearing boots, hats, scarves, bulky ski jackets, etc. Me ?? Leggings and a t-shirt, Crocs with no socks. I sleep with the window open even in Feb. Ah joy ! NOT ! >:)

Replies

• danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am getting a compound today with testosterone because the pills are not working. I have no problem with HRT and started using them 8 years ago. After waking up night after night in pools of my own sweat, sleeping on a towel and risking arrest over my anger outbursts, HRT is a Godsend. I am also going to change antidepressants tomorrow because the current med is not working. Even with all this, I still have feelings of dread, crazy anger feelings, and low energy and hot flashes (live in South Alabama and it is always hot here, even when its cold). I am hoping these changes will bring me back to some form of my old self. I remember that person and I miss her. She used to love exercise and shopping. The current me loves eating crap and watching bad television. I've decided I must break up with menopause "Dana' and reunite with just regular Dana that turns 51 next weekend and if that requires pharmaceuticals, so be it.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    They can pry the estrogen patch off of my cold dead body. HRT has made a significant difference in my quality of life and my ability to stay active and healthy. I'm also on a low dose of a tricyclic for pain management (nortriptyline) and it helps to take the edge off of my anxiety and helps me sleep.

You'll have to let me know how the testosterone works for you. My provider will prescribe it but not cover it, so I'd have to get it at a compounding pharmacy and pay out of pocket. I'm overdue for an exam so it would be a good time for me to approach it with the doctor.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I guess because I stayed on BC pills until I was 52, I missed most of the fun. I do get hot flashes and I'm not looking forward to the summer.

I'm rockin' the light colored underwear, though !!!
  • LosingIt2WIN
    LosingIt2WIN Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was on BC pills and still having periods. When I had a yearly check at 56 my weight, cholesterol, heart rate and blood pressure were all up. The doc said these were signs that I was finally going through the change. She took me off the pills and I had my last period and my first hot flash within a month. I felt awful for a couple years but am now feeling human again.

I can tell I am not as mentally "with it" and that may patience level is at zero. I own a small business in a high stress business. Starting to wish I could afford to retire!

Restarting a healthier diet and moderate exercise habit today. Thanks for your friendship and support!
  • scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't suffer HRT is amazing. Totally changed my life