Experienced Lifters: Reps or Sets for Fat loss?

Options
MissyK222
MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
For Fat loss what is more effective, high reps or high sets? Right now I am doing 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. Since being sick with Salmonella my arms are very weak so right now I normally lift 10 lb Dumbells for upper body and heavier for lower body. I know I will get stronger as I progress. I am 4'8", 130 lbs (30 %B BF) trying to get down to 120 and most importantly reduce my body fat %. Any Advice is greatly Appreciated! :smiley:

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For fat loss, a calorie deficit always comes first. Eating less and exercise can help get you there.
    To reduce your BF% though, weight training, adequate protein and a small deficit are typically recommended (especially since you are closer to goal weight).

In terms of reps and sets, I would say it doesn't really matter as long as you are progressing.. this can be increasing weight, number of sets, total volume etc. Sets of 8-12 is what I usually do, but it will vary based on my goals, what muscle I am working, how much volume I am doing, what program I am following etc.

If you are new to weight lifting, I would recommend you follow a program that kind of tells you what to do if you aren't already.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am not new..I've lifted for a couple yrs on and off but never really heavy. I eat really well and do IF so I meet my calorie deficit. Thank you so much for the advice! :smile:
  • BlameItOnEm
    BlameItOnEm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have been lifting for a couple of years, mix up what you have been doing lately. If you have been doing high reps, pick up something a little heavier and do 6-8 reps. It will throw your muscles into confusion & cause them to work harder/different. Sometimes a little curveball is all it takes.

Don't be afraid to lift HEAVY! And eat to fuel your body! :)

Keep up the hard work and trust the process. :smiley: